New AD

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by kptvol, Jul 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Anyone have much faith our committee will select someone that doesn't suck given that the first guy we decided on, with NCAA-compliance being a prime criterion, was apparently extremely uncooperative with the NCAA and gave Paul Hewitt a contract worthy of Phil Jackson?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Now, having been through seven (7!) major hires in the last 10-12 years (Green, Peterson, Hamilton, Pearl, Raleigh, Kiffin, Dooley), I am certain that whomever is chosen will meet several of the following criteria:

1. It will be a largely / entirely unknown or unproven commodity.
    2. Most reasonable persons, both within the fan base and beyond, will think that the person is unworthy and/or unprepared for the position to which they ascend.
    3. They will not be listed amongst my top 1-3 favorites / most desired.
    4. They will be either the easiest or most convenient person to hire.
    5. The school will only agree to pay rock-bottom, bargain-basement money to get them - but from a standpoint of experience / credentials / merit, it will still seem that they are somehow (way) overpaid. They will get exactly what they pay for.
    6. They will be completing the same process anew, in only a few short years after it has become (painfully and unavoidably) obvious to most that a change is long overdue. Miraculously, they will do so without any loss of optimistic enthusiasm, whatsoever, despite the benefit of hindsight and recent history.
    7. Rinse
    8. Repeat

Essentially, for the fans, it's like being a battered spouse by proxy.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to believe UT is intentionally botching the search so they can pretend to have conducted an exhuastive campaign to find an AD, then hire David Blackburn.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Justin would wholeheartedly approve of this line of thought, I believe.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Do you think they are that sharp and organized? It may be working. At some point, just promoting the guy from within becomes the least embarrassing option.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a conspiracy I can actually buy.