Back at you hat

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by bigpapavol, Aug 14, 2011.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Is Cuonzo just an interim or is he a guy that can surpass what Pearl did?

2. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'll hang up and listen.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Interim.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think we'll learn a lot very quickly here. He has recruiting opportunities but has some serious disadvantages and he has very limited talent.

Style / pace of play will likely be dictated to him this year by the gaps in the roster and I'm curious to see how he approaches it.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm expecting a slow, even arduous at times pace. The discipline aspect that he brings will in effect be the greatest thing for the program for the long run that Martin will do.

6. Hobock

Hobock New Member

He just seemed like a tire plug at the time and he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. Granted, he hasn't put his product on the court yet. We'll see...

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The product will most likely not impress you. Not to the point to sell you if on the fence.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I have a feeling that Cuonzo will surpass some of the more basketball savvy crews' expectations. That said, I think he is a stepping stone guy.

9. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Read alot about his participation in the USA team that is in china right now. Players seem to really like him and his style.

Would like to know hat's answer to this thread.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think he's going to do well, if the recruiting issue can be addressed quickly. He's go to upgrade the roster in short order or he has no shot.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I get a good laugh every time I see Animal playing the drums. Great choice for an avatar

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Going old school.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Couldn't the NCAA issues make that pretty difficult? With the team not looking too good this year and upcoming sanctions, it seems like this could be a long rebuilding process.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm willing to give him 4 years, as I've said before. I know from more knowledgable folks' comments (hatvol, BPV, etc) that it shouldn't take that long if he knows what he is doing. I figure that he deserves a couple extra years given the possible sanctions, though. I could be wrong.

And I may change my mind if the team struggles to win 10 games.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They certainly add to the degree of difficulty.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

We won't have the recruiting picture early, but we'll generally know what is being coached after a few ballgames, even with limited talent.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Going to be tough to evaluate the offense. What's he going to do there? I don't think any amount of coaching is going to make that work.

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

As of now, I would expect to see a motion type of offense with P&R and some tough pressure half court D. The signing class they brought in are "very hard workers," but not what we have been used to.
    The discipline, hard work and accountability required of the players by CCM will be a giant step up.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Can still see execution, effort and signs of trying to do the right things.

20. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Do we think Martin could have taught Hopson how to dribble?