biggest game since???

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 16, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When is the last time ut has played a game this anticipated by the fanbase? Ill argue 07 sec title game wasn't this big.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Hard to say it's a bigger game than the SEC title game in 07, I mean, it was the SEC title game, but I don't think anybody expected much from that. This one kind of represents the possibility of turning a corner plus it's a winnable game, so I think the anticipation levels are based on those things. So I guess you could say this game is more anticipated by the fans that that one was.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This game's big, but not that big. I'd say the last time I anticipated a game this much was @ Florida in 2009. The media spent the entire week roasting Kiffin for his "sing Rocky Top all night long" comment months prior, and every expert was chiming in on how badly the Vols would get blown out and how Meyer would silence Kiffin. Game had a ton of hype...no one thought it'd be close, yet everyone was talking about it. Was a great opportunity for the Vols to make a statement. And, even in a loss, they did.

4. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

this is a tough question....i get pretty pumped for several games each year, but as for our entire fanbase?? I think Kentucky 07 was pretty big, kentucky proved they were a threat by winning some unexpected games and we needed to win to keep the streak alive and also to win the east.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

For me, it's been awhile. The '09 UF game doesn't come close to this one.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

talked about this with a UF fan on campus today. he said the 09 UF game cuz of Kiffin.

7. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

i don't always remember the anticipation, mostly the outcome.

8. CardinalVol

There just seems to be an even bigger vibe to this than 07 sec game. I think its because of the unknown of this team and the possibility of reestablishing ourselves as a program again.

I don't know. Just an overall vibe optimism and hope around town that I've not sensed in some time.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Doesn't feel that big to me. Maybe I'm too skeptical of our defense to feel like a win would truly lead to anything of real merit.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It would end a streak that's lasted too damn long.

11. CardinalVol

It would be step 1. It wouldn't signal were back, but would be a huge step in that direction. Justified or not, winning in the swamp is regarded as a huge deal.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

True dat. And that'd be enough. But we'd still likely end up 8-4.

13. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

can't complain with this outcome...would be a successful year imo. you have to think what winning a couple big games would do for our future and recruiting.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Championship game was bigger. I think last year's Oregon game was just as big before kickoff.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe some of you are forgetting how terrible and low we are right now. We haven't beaten Florida or Georgia in years. We haven't beaten Auburn in years. We haven't beaten LSU in years. We are on the level of Ole Miss right now, precariously ahead of the likes of Kentucky and Mississippi State.

Even if we did finish 8-4 or there-abouts, a Florida win would be huge.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

From 2004 to 2010 Tennessee is 4-3 against UGA.

Tennessee has been to 2 seccg from 2004 through 2010.

Yes, Tennessee is down, but they're nowhere near UK or MSU bad.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

No doubt, but would it have been any huger than a win last year would have been?

All of the games against big time opponents are big. This one just doesn't seem any bigger than most of the others.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, scratch Georgia. We're starting to lose with regularity to South Carolina, though, so that balances out.

19. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

we did woop Georgia's ass in 2009, but yes, i agree with your message

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's bigger because it is our best shot at one of the big boys this year (LSU, Alabama, Florida)