The Difference Maker

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've been thinking all week long how we can beat Florida other than the obvious way -- Bray chucks it around to Hunter and Rogers. But that would be too easy and seems to fly in the face of what we know about this rivalry. The win will happen from a player on the defensive side, and I think that person will be Brent Brewer. He usually covers the weak side of the field and has had a quiet year so far. Teams don't throw near him and most running backs have run to Waggner's side. But tomorrow is his day to cement his legacy as Dooley's ultimate diamond in the rough. (I would love for him to lay a lick on Demps that will rival Al Wilson's crushing blow of Jesse Palmer).

If I'm wrong I'll come back and take it. Just what has been circulating in my head all week.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    BearCat204 likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Shit, I don't care if Rod Wilks actually does something memorable and the whole fan base collapses into epileptic fits at the irony of it. I just wanna win.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You joke, but he is one of our best special teams players thus far. Could happen. (Hopefully not the epilepsy, though).

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think this game comes down to Jacques Smith and Malik Jackson causing havoc up front. They've gotta be huge in stopping Rainey and Demps. If they get pressure on Brantley as well, ballgame.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No doubt. No doubt.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to see how Muschamp comes at Tennessee's O.

If he blitzes and leaves Hunter and Rogers in one on one coverage, big plays will be made by Bray and company. The question is, will it be enough?

Florida's DL is going to have their ears pinned back all game long. They are not going to be looking for the run. If Poole can gash them a few times, the DL has to stop rushing upfield and pay attention to the run. Then, if the OL can block just long enough for Bray to get it out to those two WRs, Tennessee will put up points.

I'm excited because I have no idea what to expect from either team.

I do want to see Jacques bodyslam Brantley.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Can the TE's and RB's pick up the blitz, sneak out and make those 5 to 10 yrd catches. As Justin said, Poole and Lane have to be good enough to keep the DL honest.

Player to Watch on O: Rivera -lots of focus on Hunter and Rodgers. He should get several chances to make plays.

DT's being just good enough to stop the occasional quick hitter up the middle. DE's getting up the field to disrupt the speed sweeps. Corners have to be solid, I think they are gonna be 1 on 1 a lot.

Player to watch on D: Vereen - Gotta cover UF from sideline to sideline. This fits his game.

Can we break even on special teams.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

With Florida's missed speed, one missed tackle could be a big fricking deal. Looking at Vereen, here.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The difference maker was an injury and the inability to tackle. Pretty simple.