Bigger Concern: Offensive Line or Defensive Speed?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 18, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. He's a plugger at the LOS not a turn and chase guy.

Bama doesn't really scare me because I don't expect to win. It will be nice to face a conventional offense.

Tennessee may not score on LSU but LSU may not score on Tennessee so we'll see. I expect an L.

I don't expect this team to win in Fayetteville either.

Other than that, Tennessee should be favored, with the exception of USCe.

7-5 or 8-4 (and that's without Hunter) is an improvement.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're right, but Maggitt can make plays on sheer athleticism that no other LB on the roster has.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This was the story on D yday. Austin doesn't fit the scheme needed for that type of O. And the FR are gonna be playing slow having to think a lot more about getting lined up and such things. Take away the first drive, and the blown coverage on the screen play the D played well.

4. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Gordon has been a huge disappointment in the speed category for me. I thought he had real wheels.

One thing that i guarantee...you will not see Maggit miss that many tackles this same time next year. He will absolutely be disruptive.

5. Beechervol

Does AJ moved to the middle at some point?

6. Beechervol

He must have been real slow yesterday. Did he see the field?

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get it... The intangibles of not having Lathers, JJ and Hunter really changed this game. To only lose by ten points with that scenario is above and beyond my expectations. Going into this game, a ten point loss where we were still fighting for it with less than 5 minutes to go would have been fine for me. But the reasons we lost this game are just unacceptable. We still don't have a kicker. We still can't do much of anything with punt and kick returns. Our offensive line is still horrible at run blocking. And now we can't tackle again. All of these issues should have at least been marginally addressed by now if you ask me. I'm going to hope and pretend that not being able to snap the ball in shotgun formations was just an anomaly.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

No doubt. Just pointing out that in the 6.5 people you identified as having SEC talent, two are true freshmen who don't know what the hell they are doing yet.

WHere has he been? Trying to look up what he did yesterday, but ESPN is screwing up for me.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know if Couch will show up on the stat sheet but he was wrecking havoc on the LOS when he was in.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stone started pressing when he started getting beat.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Kind of what I was thinking. Regardless, the rest of the post still stands. I'm scared of what LSU and Bama's front lines will do to us. Still not sure what USCe and Arky have in store for us, but I think the rest of the games are winnable and maybe we steal at least one between LSU, Bama, USCe and Arky.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

oh, and when it's all said and done, I think Bray goes down as not only a great all time SEC qb, but one that the NCAA will remember for a long long time. I just hope they can get enough pieces around him before he leaves.

13. cotton

Honestly, when it went to 30-7 I started cooking and watching the game through the window. ESPN shows him with 4 tackles, but for whatever reason, it seems to be stuck in the 3rd quarter. It isn't loading right, so I'm not sure I trust any of it.

14. cotton

I read somewhere that he didn't even know some of the snaps were low until he got to the sideline and somebody told him. I saw him up close and personal at Vandy last year, and he had the most jacked up snap technique I've ever seen. He stood the ball on its end and had his hand on top of the other end.

That had to be changed, but it is clear he's still got some learning to do.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm still pretty disappointed that we chose to run the ball at UF, while they were absolutely dominating our defense early. In my mind, this was the most important game of the season for us (I don't view Bama as a winnable game) and we decided early to put it on the shoulders of the run game, which has done nothing but suck ass all year.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He went from being a lefty to a righty this spring.

It hasn't been a problem until UF's DL started kicking the OL's collective asses.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You've got to think it takes a lot of focus to do something like that with your nondominant hand. He can't handle it when the pressure is really on him. I say go ahead and permanently switch he and Bullard if right-handed snaps are that important.

18. Beechervol

It seemed like we had more problems between the the guards and center.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why wasn't Bray letting him know his snaps were sucking in the huddle?

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Defensive speed. Oline is still young and Heistand is a proven coach. D just seems slow across the board. A.J. Johnson appears to slow to be on the outside.