Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Did hman let out a w00t in that thread? How 1337 of the old man.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like the set-up of fishing more than actually catching the fish. Getting the bait, packing some sandwiches and drinks, getting in the truck, driving to a shady spot, etc. I get a thrill just casting into the water. Any fish I catch on top of that is gravy. That being said, I've done a lot of crabbing in SC recently and found that to be fun too. Crabs are tough to clean though.

3. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

My wife and I fish a few times a week out on the flats. Redfish,Seatrout,Snook,Sheephead you can't beat it. April and May, Tarpon on the fly.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm jealous.

5. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

If you ever get a chance to fish the Homosassa, Fl. area, give it a try. There are better places to fish, but the scenery and nature are as good as it gets.

6. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

My bad Justin. We had our first club tournament the other day. Fishing conditions were awful. The winner had 10lbs on 5 fish and he dragged a spider craw by the damn mostof the day. I caught two bass, a short smallmouth and a short largemouth. I'm probably going to get out tomorrow.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We need to coordinate a Hatteras fishing trip. Would be fun. You'd like my buddies that go with me. I have been kicking the idea of going the week of Oct 10th. That's fall break. Also, if you are ever down this way during the summer, give me a shout. I'll put you on some walleye.

8. JayVols

Sounds like a buddy of mine that got married on the 3rd Saturday in October about 5 years ago, and asked me to be in the wedding. The thoughtlessness of some people never ceases to amaze me.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Good luck.

I haven't been much since June. It's been awful.

Where are you going?

10. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'll be on KY. If I go with that guy we will probably be by the dam. If not I'll be down at Cypress Bay, close to Paris Landing. Fishing has been real slow. We were finding schools of bass on the down scan but couldn't get them to bite for shit. I know some people are catching a few on a spook. Saw one guy slow reeling a spinnerbait in about 14 ft of water the other day and catch one.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have luck with a spook this time of year but it's a boring way to fish.

12. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Yeah I figure the topwater fishing is going to pick up here in a few weeks. It may be boring but a spook is a big fish bait and nothing better than seeing a largemouth destroy one.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oh yeah it's just the hours in between the bites.

Chucking a spook all day will wear you out.

14. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Yes it will. If you are in to using nice gear and willing to spend a little bit of money, I would recomend you get a Dobyns rod. They sponsor us and I get the rods 40% off, the one I have right now is the best all around rod I've ever bought.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never used a Dobyns. I've got two G Loomis's, a few Falcons and a couple of All Stars.

I don't mind spending money on quality stuff. I'll check them out.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Jay after my football season, we may have to plan a fishing trip.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He has no need in being coy. He's a hell of a fisherman and can make badass pens.

18. JayVols

Holler. Would enjoy it.

19. JayVols

You just jealous.

20. JayVols

Damn skippy. I will try to upload a picture of a 11 lb 15 oz walleye I got this summer at some point. I also have some kick ass corn cob pens. :)