Thanks, Hat...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Feb 13, 2013.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

For calling out the inconsistencies and racially-based decisions on players entering the draft. It's a damn shame that wasn't broadcast over every possibly national airwave or television.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Was on Tony's show.

4. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Cliffs?

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

'if you play ritsy country club sports u turn pro when you want to, in hoops ur beholden to the slave owners.'

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Football and baseball(to an extent, if you don't immediately enter after HS) also have restrictions. Not just basketball.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

How does that refute or undermine his point?

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Who said I was trying to?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, no one claimed only basketball had restrictions. And football and baseball aren't traditional country club activities. So...? Didn't understand why you would add "not just basketball." As if the posters on a college sports board didn't know that?

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Racially based?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Here is why:

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My thoughts exactly.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alright, guess I was mistaken.

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Didn't hear the conversation, but there is a massive difference in the two paradigms. Country clubbers who make it professionally do so through a qualification process against other professionals. The pga tour, for instance, is taking zero risk in giving a card to a high schooler who makes it through q school against everyone else trying to qualify. They don't get guaranteed contracts either. I'm not arguing that the nba's rule is a good one. But there is clearly a business case for it. I see it as protecting themselves from their own stupidity much, much more than a racial issue.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I may be completely missing something, but I don't see how it is racially motivated.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

just seems like a stretch to me too

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The NBA constantly runs out the nonsensical argument that they are doing this to aid the player who would be draft eligible without the age requirement. That's utter bullshit. They want to get a free farm system and help line the pockets of their co-conspriators in college athletics. Am I supposed to believe they simply care more about young people than the PGA or WTA? Nonsense. They just know they can't run a rigged game against a group made up of predominantly upper class whites. Scamming and subserving poor blacks is a centuries old American tradition.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The one and done rule is incredibly stupid, but I fail to see the race boogeyman hiding somewhere.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not everything racial is going to be a burning cross or death camp. I feel like when people say "I don't see it" they aren't looking for it.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Yeah, put an unamerican, nonsensical rule in place that arbitrarily keeps white kids living in gated communities from making millions and see how long it lasts.