What really blows my mind about the run game...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

is the fact that all our lineman are extremely talented. I don't understand why we can't get a push up front.

[​IMG]

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fire Hiestand!

I'm joking but there's something wrong. These guys at least pushed around the pansy ass teams last year. They didn't really do it against Montana and looked so-so against Cincinnati. I had high hopes for the group.

Stone started getting beat and rushing the snap to Bray and Bullard would make a great block then follow it up with a complete whiff. James and Thomas played good enough. They weren't fantastic but they held up reasonably well. They got beat a few times, but every tackle outside of Johnathan Ogden does that against a team as talented up front as the Gators. The interior needs some work.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I really don't get it. Did we work only on pass blocking the entire off-season?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The pass-blocking was as limited as the run blocking, so I don't think so. I think part of it was high expectations from the fans, and part of it is the line's members being a bit too comfortable and complacent with where they are. Need to get hungry. Need to be more like dogs.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

For sure, they need to act mo like dawgs. Although, I think with as much talent and size as the group of linemen at UT have, that it isn't unreasonable to expect big things from them.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it's not but they are still youngish. Well, maybe I'm just making excuses for them. Some of the stupid blown assignments, and certainly the snaps from center were inexcusable at this level and at this point in the season, let alone their careers.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Part of me keeps saying yeah, they're young, and they are, but it still seems like they'd have shown more by this point. Probably more troubling to me still is the fact they couldn't do better against Montana and Cincinnatuh, teams that they should do better against in theory.

8. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

now we get another tune up against Buffalo, to work it out

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm with you, but it is also in the back of my mind that although they certainly haven't been stellar, I don't think our backs have helped them one bit.

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Quite a bit of dancing going on in the backfield imo. TP looks like he is trying to break a 60 yarder every run instead of just hitting a hole and getting 4 or 5.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This is the point where I'm really hoping the problem is with experience and not talent or coaching.

12. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Maybe they just aren't strong enough yet, I don't know. It's very frustrating though with how they've played at this point in the season

13. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

with the talent you guys returned at QB and WR...has their been a push in the offseason to change the blocking scheme to better pass protect and less of a focus on rushing? if so, that might explain it....otherwise..it could just be sticking with what is doing well in your first two games (passing)..and then when the passing game wasnt clicking as much without Hunter...the team wasn't fully prepared...possibly?

14. Brinkley52

I would imagine this is the case...most young guys in the SEC aren't used to the strength that SEC D-linemen hit them...in the pass game its more about technique and they have more time to use that to their advantage...running is about strength...and give these guys some time..I am sure their time in an SEC weight room will help out...Tennessee has a history of great O-linemen and I doubt that changes...

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. There was a definite focus in the first two games on running the ball. The offense for most of the game was run twice for two total yards, pass on third for a first down, repeat.

16. Brinkley52

interesting..sounds very Lou Holtz like...
    well then it has to be youth....young guys don't run block well at all....

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

To have good run blocking, the lineman need to be aggressive much like a defensive attitude. You have to have a little sum[itch bay] in you to dominate the person across the line from you. I haven't seen that attitude to this point. Pass pro and run blocking have similarities and differences. Both require finesse and footwork, but to be an effective run blocker, a lineman needs the attitude that I am going to physically dominate my opponent come hell or high water. They have to want to drive the DL's [Richards] in the dirt. A massochistic mindset is a huge plus. We need more sum[itch bay] in our offensive lineman; the talent is there.