Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Begins tonight. 3&4 year old co-ed tee ball.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If they hit pop ups, make em do 50 push ups.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Fixed

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My friend was telling me that her kids get thier choice of music pumped every time they come up to bat. i s- you not. of course they are 15, but i can't believe it.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

You will have a blast!

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Good luck! Remeber...patience is a must.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Awesome. I did 3-4 tee ball last year. Just had our first practice saturday for 5-6 coaches pitch. Was 40's, windy, and raining. Perfect baseball weather.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. cotton

It is snowing here today.

Fortunately, being a resourceful fellow, I have secured the use of an indoor practice facility for my future MLBers.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Teaching them to be pansies from the start......

10. cotton

I may ask for some tips for the little guys. I have a simple practice plan and have absolutely no idea how it will work.

11. hallowed_hill

For practice i just kept them moving with simple drills. Having other parents to help manage is key. We'd split them up and have one group hitting off tee into fence. I used tennis balls and no gloves to get them used to trying to catch overhand as opposed to a basket catch. Not many could catch at that age. Any time there was a break i'd tell them all to run out and touch the fence or something. They loved to run

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you'd be surpised how well some of the systems you can pay for work and i'm not even fred mcgriff. if you are in the dark, it might be worth to pay for it just to get the drills and the like.

13. hallowed_hill

Like i said, the other parents are the key. At any given time, only half the team will be engaged. Once i learned not to worry about the ones who were running off the field, picking flowers, etc. it got much more manageable. Focus on the ones who are actually into it, and let the parents deal with the others.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

May the Lord be with you.

Tee ball parents are worse than high school parents.

I'm sure you'll do well. Teach fundamentals and fun. You can't go wrong. Thanks for beinv willing to give your time to help kids. 25 years from now when a kid sees you and thanks you for the positive impact you made on them as a child, you will know you did something worthwhile.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I was coaching my youngest Tee-ball team and I looked at one of my players that was on second. He was standing with both feet on the bag and he had piled up dirt over both ankles.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Start with the basics - offense / defense / blocking / tackling, etc.

17. OrangeEmpire

Best thing you can do for little ones is get them in the habit of biting their collar when swinging.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

And scratching for the boys.

20. OrangeEmpire

Naked Gun covers all this nicely.