I'm Just Not Seeing The Basis For All The 8 and 9 Win Talk.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 15, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I can see 7. There just isn't a scenario I see as reasonable that gets them higher. Winning 8 would almost certainly require them winning two of three at home against LSU, Georgia, and South Carolina. Don't see it. Getting to 9 is winning the Powerball.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I see 7 wins more than I do 8 or 6. If we are tremendously lucky(which would be a big change) we could see 8, but no way in hell will we win 9 imo.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Tennessee has six that they should win.

I think Bama's a loss no matter what.

Florida, UGA, South Carolina, LSU, and Arky are probable losses, but those teams all have issues of their own. They'll need a few breaks, but it wouldn't shock me to see the Vols go 2-for-5 against that bunch.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

USCe is a Lattimore injury away from being irrelevant in the East. That being said, if he's relatively healthy come the Tennessee game, it's a probable loss.

I'm banking on Richt getting monkeystomped in Neyland for a 3rd straight trip.

5. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

I am at the point of sacrificing chickens to Jobu in order to get to 9 wins

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Every game I have went to in the last three years has been a win.......Im going to this one :) Also I had a dream............

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Groves hit it on the head for me. I think we beat Georgia and it's all depending on Lattimore as to whether we beat USCe.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I just view Florida as beatable. It was competitive last year and we were awful. We should be better this year and they shoudl take one more step back. Not sold on the Florida coaching staff being able to work together either.

LSU, UGA and SC are all winnable games to me. Nothing about any of them terrify me, especially with the game being at Neyland. Not saying we will win, just thay we can.

However, based on our recent early season OOC games, we cannot afford to overlook Cinnci. I'm afraid too many fans are. I'm convinced the team looked past UCLA in 09 as well. We are just not good enough to do it.

9. Hobock

Hobock New Member

Crompdaddy definitely overlooked and overthrew his receivers while finding UCLA's.

10. Hobock

Hobock New Member

I know. I'm sorry for reminding us.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it's more to do with us winning 6 last year, but expecting to be a good deal better this year, thus 8 or 9 seems reasonable. If you actually look at the schedule and break it down, however... not so much. I could probably see 8-9 wins with this team playing the 2010 season.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Montana, Cincinnati, Buffalo, MTSU, Vandy, UK- all wins

UF, UGA, USCe- could go either way in all 3 IMO

LSU- All indications point to a loss, but LSU games are always exciting and you've gotta think they'll be driven to win after last year. It's huge that this game is at Neyland.

Alabama, Arkansas- definite losses.

I said it already somewhere, either here or on VN, but I think we go 2-4 against UF, UGA, USCe and LSU. However, I fear we lose one of the games we should win. I see an inexplicable loss to either Cincy, Buffalo or finally losing to Kentucky. So I see 7-5 in the regular season and a bowl win could give us 8 wins total.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I am sticking with 8, simply because this is the first time I have been optimistic about a football season in years. My hunch is probably wrong, but [uck fay] it, I may be off by a game or may be terribly surprised.

That said, you all bring up valid points. I think that with Lattimore healthy, South Carolina is a tough matchup. I also think that Georgia is an almost definite win this year, because they simply won't be any good. LSU, well that just depends on whether bad or terrible Les Miles shows up. You always have a chance against that idiot.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

There are 6 teams we should beat. Of the other 6, I'd say Alabama is the most likely loss by far. I could see Tennessee winning 2 out of the other 5.

The west schedule makes it difficult this year. I would still consider 6-6 a disappointment.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

My optimism (if you want to call it that) is based just as much if not more on thinking the East will still suck as it is that UT will be a lot better than last year.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't. Florida played awful last year, against us and in the season as a whole. I'll say it again--they are better than us at almost every position, and they are in the swamp. A win over the gators will mean UT is a hell of a lot better than I think, that the Florida staff has done a woeful job of preparing their team, and that every break in the game goes our way. I just don't see all three happening.

I think there are 6 teams that are better than us on our schedule. I think we are dangerous enough on offense to beat somebody who is better than us, most likely UGa or SC. I can't see more than 7 wins on the schedule, and I think 5-7 with a loss to Cincy or UK is more likely than 8-4.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I've been a 7-5 guy every time I look at the schedule...but slip into an 8 win team when I don't root it in reality.

18. tankervol

tankervol Member

This is where I am at as well. We're not beating Alabama, but wouldn't be surprised if we beat any of the others. 7 wins sounds about right.

19. WM

WM Active Member

I think its natural to have a mindset to progress off of a six win season with a young team. I will be content with 7 wins, ecstatic with 8.
    A Florida win would make my year.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think we're all overestimating the strength of the SEC. I just don't see the horses out there and we're no longer light years from competitive as we were at the end of Fulmer's death grip. For the first time, we have a chance to win games in which the chalk is heavily stacked against us. That said, our offensive approach thus far says that we're likely to be seriously inconsistent. If the D doesn't improve drastically, that will beat us in a couple we should win.

If the line has stepped up and we can run it some, then we have a chance against anyone.

I think for the first time in years, we're actually underestimating the team.