Tennessee/Alabama Rivalry

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Another thread I started before on Volnation but decided I'd start here, too.

Anyone else here at least a little concerned this rivalry will be lost in SEC expansion? I think the big concern would be if realignment caused Auburn to move to the East.

I think that both UT and Bama would try to preserve it, but I'm just not convinced they'll have enough sway. I have no idea if the SEC wants to protect cross divisional rivalries.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No matter what happens, hate is where the heart is.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Not up on how all of this would work, but it seems that it would be easier if the next team added joined the east and the original 12 stayed in their current divisions.

4. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I think they'll find a way to keep it

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do too

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The optimistic part of me says this: What school willingly would want to face Alabama every year, except a rival like Tennessee? It's not like Tennessee is demanding Miss State, which puts them at a competitive advantage most years.

Here is the pessimistic part of me: I don't know what to expect of Hart on this issue. What if he sees it as a way to get out of the gauntlet of a schedule the Vols face most Octobers? What about the trifecta of Slive, Foley and Machen that seem to be running the SEC show? What are they trying to do, preserve rivalries, or expand the conference to produce revenue? If -- and when -- it goes to 16 teams, is there any way AT ALL to preserve this rivalry save putting Bama in the East? These are things I don't know.

7. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

If the SEC goes to 16 teams, two 8 team divisions, I think that they would stay with 8 conference games...that being said....the only way to preserve the UT/Alabama rivalry, Auburn/GA and the like would be to have that rivalry be the ONLY opponent from the other division each year. I don't see that happening...so I would imagine the long-time rivalries go up in smoke...it isnt about rivalries..its about money now...Money and money alone

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You could play 8 division games, one rotating West opponent, and then one locked in rival, decreasing OOC games to 2.

This is how I did it on my xbox, thus I am an expert.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Another thought:

Would the SEC be okay with these teams playing OOC, and would the teams consider it?

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'm gonna say no.