Will we have Bray, Rogers, and Hunter in 2013?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I wanna hear everybody's opinion on this.

If somebody is putting a gun to my head, I don't think we have any of them in 2013. I definitely don't think we'll have Justin Hunter as I have a feeling he is going to put up insane numbers next year. And of course those insane numbers will be because of throws from Mr. Bray, whose numbers will also be insane. I'm about to make a bold statement. As good of a QB as our fanbase thinks Tyler Bray is...he's even better than we think. If we're talking arm talent alone -- arm-strength, accuracy, release, touch, accuray, catch-able balls, and did I mention accuracy -- I think he's the best in college football. When you start bringing in other factors like movement, ability to read a defense, movement, consistent good decision making, and did I mention movement...then other guys get rated higher than him...with Andrew Luck of course being the prime example. But arm talent alone: the god-given characteristics that allow a man to sling a football around the field. I think he's the best in CFB.

With guys like Bray that aren't dirt poor, it isn't necessarily a given that he'll bolt. But I would be willing to bet that if he did go he would be a first round draft pick in the 2013 draft. I'm not banking on him being around for the 2013 season, though obviously I'd love it.

Perhaps Da'Rick is the most likely to be around in 2013? He's more physical than Hunter, but he isn't as fast, he doesn't have as good a hands, and doesn't have that jump-ball ability. I'm actually constantly going back and forth on how good I think Da'Rick is.

2. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

No way we have all three. Da'Rick is the obvious choice for most likely to be around.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree but Tennessee could see Hunter in 2013 depending on how quickly his knee heals.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Hunter really wants his Olympic gold. I could definitely see him staying so that he can continue to improve in track. my biggest worry would be football scaring him off, but he knows that's where his paycheck is ultimately going to come from. This knee thing has opened up all kinds of what ifs for Hunter. Bray is special, but he still has quite a ways to go before he's NFL ready. Right now, I don't see him leaving early. He'll have to have an absolutely insanely crazy year next year to go early. Da'Rick, I don't really know. I fear his grades may be his downfall.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I don't think it's that big a leap to think that Bray could be the first qb taken in the 2013 draft. Luck will be gone after this year. Can probably say the same for Barkley and Jones.

2013 won't be a deep year for qb's...Tyler Wilson, Aaron Murray, EJ Manuel, Robert Griffin make up his competition....maybe I'm forgetting someone else, but I'd take Bray over each of them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think the injury greatly increased the likelihood that Hunter is around. I hate it for him, but he won't be back to full athleticism on that leg until 2013.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Some team will talk themselves into picking RGIII #1 overall, not because he's better, but he'll blow everyone away at the combine.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Without trying to sound selfish, will he be able to play in 2012? Having him would help our offense a lot.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rogers is the least likely to have a senior year, imo. If it were just about draft status, I could see why he would be someone's most likely.

10. The Last Vol

The Last Vol New Member

We'll have a new coach in 2013, as well.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's expected to go through spring practice

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If it's about draft status, I think Bray's most unlikely to return in 2013.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Bray needs to be a comfortable 220+ before even considering the NFL.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, exactly.

15. WM

WM Active Member

Addressing other needs on both sides of the ball could make this concern meaningless.
    That being said, having Bray is a key.

16. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'd say there is a legitimate chance we lose all three.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

17. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

Bray has the build and arm of an NFL quarterback. So many NFL teams are looking at that more so than their record and even stats during college. Bray will put up nice stats this year, maybe even ALL-SEC numbers, and next year he will for sure be ALL-SEC, probably first team. That, along with his frame, which I bet he gains significant weight in the offseason, will make him a top 20 pick. Just think back to Stafford, he never won an SEC title or anything, heck he was never even first team ALL-SEC (see Tebow, Tim), but yet he goes #1 overall because of his build.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stafford was big meat head. Bray is a toothpick.

19. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

its not like Stafford was Cam Newton or Roethlisberger size (245-250)
    in reality he wasn't that big at all

just for the record...at the 2009 NFL combine...Stafford was listed as 6'2 225
    NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Matthew Stafford

and according to Tennessee's website...Bray is 6'6 210
    University of Tennessee Athletics: Football

I think it is believable that Bray can put on 15 lbs in 18 months to be 6'6 225 for the combine