The Section YY6 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 1, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Buffalo is really, really awful. Tennessee did a reasonably good job of not playing to their level.
    2. The defense, with the exception of a couple of glaring busts, was solid. Now come the real tests.
    3. It's taken all year for me to identify who Da'Rick Rogers reminds me of as a receiver. It's Andre Rison.
    4. Tennessee is going to have to face the fact that their running game just isn't going to produce anything against good competition. Mediocre runners and run blockers are not the recipe for rushing success.
    5. The special teams, especially the return game, continues to underwhelm. The addition of Devrin Young actually made things worse.
    6. That's one of the smallest crowds since stadium expansion. The 1980 stadium expansion.
    7. Georgia has their feet back under them. That will make for a very interesting clash next Saturday night.
    8. Dan Mullen is learning a hard lesson right now. Playing with expectations is far tougher than being the plucky underdog.
    9. All in all, I'd rather have been in Chapel Hill today. I understand why the move was made, I just don't agree with it.
    10. Rasputin Zook has Illinois on a roll. It'll be interested to see what happens when they face the better teams in the Big 10.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Zook and Illinois has intrigued me since he got there. Very cyclical, yet dependable ebbs and flows of success. I don't think Zook is capable of sustained success, but he has a knack for reeling in talent and building a team up for a good season or two.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Illinois will take being a pretender and run with it. Better to be mistaken for being a top dog than for it to never even be a thought.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

2. Eliminate the 2 or 3 BIG plays (mostly busted assignments) and this D is solid. Add a TO or 2 and its pretty good.
    5. I will give him a few more chances to see if he makes it better. If he can't hold on to the ball you got it nailed.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Thought the offense looked a little more sophisticated today. I was impressed with the variety of things we did pretty well. Ran it better, albeit against a highly inferior opponent, and Bray can flat out sling it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will be a problem as long as Tennessee has to rely on freshmen out there.

Maggitt and A.J. have been very good at time and completely lost at times. Randolph being back there doesn't help either. All are talented but all are going to have growing pains.

7. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

I know the team is young, but sometimes they seem to lose focus. Mistakes are going to kill us down the road if they don't correct this.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're playing a lot of young guys. There is only so much you can do.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what young teams do. Tennessee's two deep are all underclassmen

10. GoVols

GoVols Member

Florida has a younger team then Tennessee and look what they did to us. Youth is not an excuse when division rivals are punishing us with more youth.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wrong again. Florida has a lot more experience on offense and the d has actually been in school longer than 2 months.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Justin Coleman, Brian Randolph, Curt Maggitt and A.J. Johnson are freshmen in the two deep. Add Lanier and Couch as ones that have been here less than 5 months (Coleman was an EE). Moore doesn't really count because he hasn't done anything.

Smith and Brewer are sophomores. Teague is in his second year at CB. Walls is seeing his first significant snaps this year. Malik is in his second year here and he's considered "experienced".

This D is young and inexperienced. Most didn't even have the chance to cut their teeth on special teams before being thrown out there.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I expect FR. to play like FR. No getting around that. As the season goes on the blown assignments and type stuff should start to be less of an issue. Not disappear, but not as much of a issue.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. But when someone compares us to Florida, it is important to distinguish between a younger roster and a younger two-deep. We have a younger two-deep for certain.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What...allowed a team that had lost its best offensive weapon to make a 16-3 comeback on you in the final 20 minutes of gameplay?

17. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

the next 4 weeks are going to be brutal

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dare to dream. If I were Georgia, I would want no part of us in Neyland.

We have nothing to lose against #1 LSU and the knowledge of how we hung with them last year and could have won it if not for a fluke.

We're probably boned against Alabama, but again have nothing to lose.

Arkansas is going to be tough, but they are not the juggernaut they were thought to be at the beginning of the season.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we somehow went 2-2, we'd be staring at a trip to Atlanta in the face. That's not impossible.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we beat Georgia and one of South Carolina/Arkansas, I will actually believe Dooley can possibly lead us back into the upper tier of the SEC.