Welcome, VN's OWB!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 15, 2011.

1. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Suck me gay bear fan.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

They have reacted like a number of totalitarian regimes, first you silence, then you exterminate then you attempt to infiltrate so you can start the process over. Let's be clear, I am not calling Freak and Co. Nazis or Commies, but their response to this just got my little political science brain buzzing

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's well established oski isn't gay, he's a pedophile.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Chickenfeces for sure.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the deleating of any threads not of the "the vols are so great and can you believe what this vandy fan said to me" variety is not all that different than the chinese banning any anti govt websites.

1 person likes this.
  6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, I forgot the misinformation step in there.

7. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I never got banned or reprimanded in anyway, but the censorship and then the events of the last few days pretty much killed the chances that I would remain active there, even in the short term

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I just wish I knew which one banned me. Not that I'm surprised I didn't get a name, but I still wish I knew.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Color me completely without shock.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Would bet the farm it was pj.

12. CardinalVol

What? You don't think it woudl haev anything to do with me calling him out Friday do you?!?!?!?!?!

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It has everything to do with that.

14. CardinalVol

Oh well. Kidna proves my point, no?

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

validates the reason for this site.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

As I've mentioned, VolNation is linked on this site (up top on the NAVBAR, under "Links"). In contrast, they have declared DEFCON 1 martial law over there, although I am not sure why.

They have tens of thousands of posters, we have less than 100.
    Their mods are really smart, and ours are not.
    They are conjoined with ESPN, and we are linked to no one outside of those members, here.
    Their site has been around for 5-7 years. Ours has only been around for 5-7 days.

It's silly that they are so obviously threatened by us. And childish. And, well, dumb.

So, why did I link them? No one asked me to do so, and I certainly didn't feel like it was a necessity of this site. Then, why?

Because I am entirely unafraid of others choosing to be there more than they would be here, and I don't need to rely upon threats, banishment, shutting down site functionality and otherwise building a proverbial electronic Berlin Wall of sorts, in (somewhat desperate) hopes of preventing our members from the dreaded realization that there is an entire world beyond its borders.

That they are not only unwilling to link to this site, but are going to such great lengths to deny and subdue its very existence is the single-most damning argument I could hope to make as to the divergent direction, goals and membership of our respective sites. So, let's see who's idea will ultimately prevail in this, the grandest of experiments. Their apprehension seems curious, given their status as "overwhelming" favorites.

However, their inept hesitancy will only aide our cause, and give each of us a stronger and more common bond, where we can all take a special pride in the words, "Ich bein ein 8th Maximer". IMO, JMHO.

1 person likes this.
  17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

please, we're talking about Milo, the other Bill and PJ. The only "smart" mods over there are Vades and GA. We've definitely got them beat in common sense and general sports knowledge (as well as UT specific knowlede). To add to that, how many degrees do we have collectively as mods? That site has fallen apart and Freak knows it. It doesn't matter about longevity or a partnership with ESPN. What made VN great for those few years is gone and we're taking what made it good and improving on it. Freak knows the wheels have fallen off over there from what he wanted it to be and he knows he's got serious competition with the posters we've pulled over here. We truly did steal the cream of the crop and now he doesn't know what to do.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

no offense, but who are you?

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He knows exactly where that was heading, and how much explosive potential could have been dropped. Par for his 3-shot course, he didn't think that little foray through very well, or how exposed he could have immediately become.

Speaking of which, you'll notice a new category on the bottom of the forum home page - and which provides detailed (read: detailed) information as to those non-registered lurkers who happen to come to the site. Some might be amazed at what kind of access that a site like this might command from casual and unregistered visitors, simply to access the first page - and even though you can't go beyond there, nor certainly read anything. But, the custom programming we have installed on this site (which you only see a fraction of its capability on the forum home page) is not to ensnare lurkers, but to simply allow us to better monitor our spider traffic, instead. Of course, we cannot control who or what else may become ensnared in its electronic web, but that is strictly not its intent.

And I'll add this, to no one or nothing in particular: let's just say that your Average Joe and his band of keystone cops couldn't hope to close all of the security holes that come with this software.....even if remotely hosted.......or definitely if you've just placed it all on some local server.....say, for instance, because you're simple-minded, and that made perfect sense to you and your self-taught IT gurus at the time. I'm sure you could save a couple of bucks by going that route, but man, anything coming in or out (not just your server, but anyone it connects to) could be easily compromised. Or, so I am told. In a purely hypothetical situation.

So, my assumption is that the little personal info that was leaked today will stop, or others will feel at liberty to similarly share personal things. And no one wants that.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

welcome aboard