Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax reform plan

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Oct 3, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The problem with any flat income tax is also scrapping the tax credits, deductions and other loopholes that the progressive system allows smart and creative people to manipulate. Flat taxes have only worked in developing economies with weak -- or non-existent -- progressive systems. Now, a number of states have flat taxes currently on the books, but states don't have near the complexity of the federal tax code.

I'm not opposed to it, but many people are addicted to the tax refund they receive in April. In a true flat tax -- at least as it was proposed years ago by Hall-Rabushka -- those things would go poof.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I like Herman Cain at this point.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would a flat sales tax ultimately raise the same amount of money? If so, how could it NOT be pushing more of the burden on the poor? Just asking genuine questions, not wanting to start a pointless political posturing thread.

5. CardinalVol

Given what I have read, first there wouldn't be a payroll tax of 6.2%, so that would help. Second, I can't imagine any scenario where this would not have an exemption amount. Third, most of the working poor, through the earned income credit, really don't even pay hardly anything now because that 6.2% is largely offset.

While I get the argument, you are essentially taking their overall tax burden from 0% to 2 or 3%. I'm sorry, that's not exactly grounds to call in Robin Hood.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This be the problem; or the heart of the matter. The Federal government needs to shrink, and become less complex in need and nature.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

No it's not, Cardinalvol. I was just asking because I didn't know.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

you also have people who make up to 50k a year who don't pay fed. taxes which is a joke and some of them get tax refunds. for what? they didn't pay shit

10. CardinalVol

I would rather deal with the most complex federal return imaginable than do a ca, ny, nj, or mi corp return. They are a mess.

More and more states are also adopting a multiple tax rate system too.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"That dog won't hunt".

-Herman Cain

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm just talking about personal income taxes. I can't speak for corporate rates.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm a fan of his tax plan though i can see teh "screwing the poor" argument. i believe europe has a vat refund for low income people. we could do the same.

15. fl0at_

Is the Federal sales tax on top of state sales tax?

16. fl0at_

So I pay a little bit better than 18% on such luxury items as food. Well, unless someone can sell me a used hotdog.

17. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not true when you add in subsidies.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

means you are witholding too much every month. has nothing to do with whether you are paying too much or too little (from a macro standpoint) in total taxes a year.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  20. CardinalVol

Yeah they do. It's called the Earned Income Tax Credit for low income people.

It's hands down the most abused portion of the tax code, but you will never hear a politican say that.