Missouri Chooses To Explore Their Options.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Oct 4, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The university curators voted tonight to explore all options for conference affiliation. Looks like someone is giving Texsucks a dose of their own medicine.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Sounds an awful lot like #14. Don't know why anyone would be content to lick TX's sacks that had better options.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They'd be a solid 14, but would probably mean a change or shift in divisions. I think a North versus South might be a way to try and balance things.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia and Vandy in the North. Alabama, LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn, Florida in the South? I like it.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I could definitely live with that. Georgia would have to give up either Auburn or Florida, though. But really, screw Georgia.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Switch Alabama and one of the teams in the north (not Tennessee or Georgia) for more balance and I'd like it a lot.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Remember, you heard it from me first.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

If they stick with the easiest realignment and simply move Auburn over, what happens? I assume we'll go to 9 conference games, will still have one east-west traditional rival, and that Auburn gets Alabama. I don't see any justification for switching the others that currently exist. That leaves us and UGA in the east and the newbies in the west. Flip a coin for aTm and Mizzou? I don't know that there's a significant reason why they'd match us or uga up with either in particular.

9. They should go with a 9 game schedule regardless of the alignment.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not if I use my mod powers to delete your post and replace it with my own.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The SEC needs Missouri more for image than for football

Missouri plays pretty good football and good basketball, but that’s not its greatest lure for the SEC.

Missouri is a state school in a state — heck, a region — where the SEC doesn’t have an outpost, and it would also deliver the St. Louis and the Kansas City television markets. (That’s an upgrade over A&M, which delivers the less-prestigious College Station market.) Those are nice things to have, but they’re not essential. Of greater importance: The SEC views Missouri as another vehicle in its quest to spruce up its academic image, which could use sprucing.

If it adds Missouri, the SEC will count four schools among the high-minded Association of American Universities. That’s double from a month ago. Texas A&M is an AAU member, and so are Florida and Vanderbilt. Both the Aggies and the Tigers play good enough football that they won’t sully the SEC’s brand, and the SEC doesn’t need an Oklahoma or a Texas to burnish its standing as the best football league. (Check the latest Associated Press poll: SEC teams are ranked first, second, 10th, 15th, 17th and 18th.)

The SEC needs Missouri more for image than for football | Mark Bradley