Most Dangerous Toys of Your Youth

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volinbham, Oct 5, 2011.

1. volinbham

volinbham Member

I have a long list and some were mentioned in the Shit I Used to Do Back in the Day thread. I'll just start with one so as not to steal the thunder of others.

Creepy Crawlers - if you look at this picture you'll see the "Thing Maker" which was a souped up hot plate with no protection. The metal molds in the foreground were handled with flimsy "handles" that you squeezed to insert in the mold so you could set it in the open hot plate. After they cooked for a while you had to stick that handle back in the mold without touching the hotplate or mold (both about 500 degrees) and move it to the black tray (filled with water) to cool the metal mold down enough to touch to peel out the rubber like bugs you made (which were also a swallowing hazard). You can see from the kids on the box that it was intended for little kids.

[​IMG]

2. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

slip n slide

seems like someone always got sliced by a rock or some odd shit that it got laid out on top of

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

Yard darts

chemistry sets

wood burning kits

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

About killed myself taking one extra step, getting my heel on the slide, predictably slipping and then landing on my back so hard I couldn't breath for what seemed like hours.

We used to have a zip line in our back yard. A neighborhood kid came over and broke an arm that was the end of that.

Also had a treehouse next to a crab apple tree. Those little apples would fall all around the tree, decay and get real mushy. That crap would get all over your shoes, all over the floors of the treehouse and ladder and make everything slippery as hell. Slipped on the top step of the ladder and crashed to the ground, once again knocking the breath out of me so bad I thought I was dying.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

Clackers... dentists loved them

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

i'm gonna go lighter and can of wd-40.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

M-80's. The real things.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

a football

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This. They had cyanide in them not to mention a bunch of other poisonous/explosive chemicals. Crazy

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

11. volinbham

volinbham Member

Got mine at Cas Walkers

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Not sure that it counts as a toy, but I have broken many bones from 4-wheelers and doint dumb shit on them

13. volinbham

volinbham Member

Skittle Bowl. If you look in the picture you'll see that you "bowl" with a wooden ball at the end of a chain that attaches to a two-foot wooden poll. Not only did the ball hit people sitting too close to the board but you could also take the poll out and use it as a mace - at least until the chain came loose and the ball became a projectile.

[​IMG]

14. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Looks pretty medieval

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

It was and it was loud as hell too

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What was that weird tricycle like thing where the handle bars doubled as foot rests and you were like an inch off the ground? We used to take that thing down some nasty hills. It was scary as hell and about impossible to steer.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Used to bury them in the sandbox, set GI Joes on them and watch from a semi-safe distance.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

sling shot a real one.

got my ____ whipped for knockin out my grannys window. That was the dangerous part.

19. volinbham

volinbham Member

pretty much. it was pretty fun actually. the point at the bottom of the screen was the head pin. some of the spares were tough to pick up but the ball could swing from the back too so you had to get creative. you could also target your opponent if they got too close.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Electricity.

My first "knockout" occured when I was about 7 years old and repaired an old glass Christmas tree.

The housing was blown, so I re-wired using a broken table lamp. My assistant plugged in the tree while I was still wiring. Knocked me out, turned me blue and blew the breaker.