UT Tennis

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by kptvol, Oct 19, 2011.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Stanford pulling the upset of #1 UF on the Women's side. UF could have made it an all SEC affair and gotten their rematch with A&M.

Tennessee women lost in the 2nd RD again.....that sounds good, but it appears to be their ceiling and they have still not beaten Florida....EVER.....need new blood coaching that program.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Which they won.

UVA tennis isn't going anywhere, btw. They have a nice little pipeline to the College Park Tennis Academy, and they continue to pull the best American players (that don't immediately go pro).

UT will be good next year -- and will probably win the SEC -- but I see UVA putting together a little streak.

3. kidbourbon

Maxx Lippman went to Florida. Bummer.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Winterbotham got a coach of the year award.

5. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Yeah...He was killing some poor underclassmen in the State Championship Team Singles a while ago.

He was always a long shot. Losing the Wood kid from Knoxville to UGA is a bigger loss IMO. Not on ability, but bc he is in your back yard.

Marshall Sharp of MUS ended up with Penn after being courted by a lot of he big teams for a while. Watched him this am and did not see anyone that could return his serve.

6. kidbourbon

I think he's really really good. You can tell by how frustrated he gets when he misses out on a top recruit that he's not settling for anything less than a perennial powerhouse program. The fact he grabbed a relatively unknown kid from Lithuania who then turned out to be the best player in college as a sophomore is really impressive. I mean there's just no way that's an accident.

7. kidbourbon

Wow, sounds like kid has some game. MUS junior takes 2nd in USTA Winter National Championships : Memphis Commercial Appeal

8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Yeah, kid is 6'5 ish w/ a big serve. Also heard he was valedictorian of his class. He had told me that TN was recruiting him, but not sure what happened there.

I know he had some injuries. That might be part of it, but I think he could have helped. Should do well at Penn.

He and his teammate, Walker Sims (won State Last year), could meet in the D2AA Title Match on Friday. That would be interesting to see...

9. kidbourbon

10. kidbourbon

Vols Win. Onto the finals.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

First set Vols.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Is college tennis best of 3? If so, we're one game away from the championship

14. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I believe you are correct. Up 6-5 right now so Tennessee will at least be in the tiebreaker in the 2nd set.

15. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

@Vol_Tennis: NCAA Doubles: OSU saves 2 match points. Second set tiebreaker

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UT up 3-1 in the tiebreak, ends up losing 7-3. Fahk.

17. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Where have I heard this story before...

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

4 all in the 3rd

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

OSU thoroughly kicked ass in that game. 5-4

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

5 up. I can't handle another tiebreak