2012 BCS NCG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

They already had their shot at Alabama, I mean.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I think a team should have to win their conference to play for the title, but as we stand now without that rule in place, I'd have no problem with the rematch.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed. don't win the conference and you shouldn't go the NC game. tough shit if you are "really" the 2nd best team.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Knowing Les Miles, that's exactly what will happen and he'll beat Bama by 4 touchdowns in the rematch.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And why would the teams have even bothered playing the first time?

6. hallowed_hill

Since you asked...

[video=youtube;IMk5sMHj58I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I[/video]

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The problem with allowing a rematch is that not "everyone" got a shot at the undefeated team. There will always be a team from another conference who hasn't played them.

8. hallowed_hill

Let's look at a few scenarios:

1) LSU and Oklahoma St win out and play in the BCS championship game. Easy as that.

2) LSU loses to Arkansas. Alabama ends up highest rated BCS team, and plays in seccg. Win, and they're in the BCS title game.

3) LSU loses to Georgia in seccg. This gets very interesting. Where do the pollsters place LSU relative to Alabama? Opens door for Oregon to slide in.

In the event of Oky St or LSU loss, the pecking order is tough to predict. Oregon, OU, LSU, Bama would all have a case.

The only way I see Arkansas getting into this is a quasi-apocalyptic plot where Bama loses at Auburn.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I see #1 happening. I don't think #2 is all that unlikely. LSU should murder Arky, but the Hogs have an offense to give them a chance and if Miles boneheads things up too much he could get into trouble.

I don't see how UGA isn't clobbered brutally by LSU or Bama. That would get out of hand in a hurry. I also think Arkansas would win.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, is there any indication that the SEC will take a look at how they determine SEC divisional champs? In 2007 I thought it was pretty clear we weren't the best SEC East team, but at least we had the same record against East opponents as Florida. This year, South Carolina went undefeated against their five eastern opponents, but won't get to go to Atlanta because Georgia lucked into playing the three worst teams in the West. They lost straight up to South Carolina, in Athens, but still get to represent the East despite SC going a perfect 5-0 in East games.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  11. hallowed_hill

I probably need to add 4) LSU wins out, but Oky St loses. Still not clear whether the pollsters would jump Oklahoma or Oregon over Alabama. Would be very close.

I think UGA would at least have a fighter's chance in the seccg.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There aren't any SEC teams that can stand toe-to-toe physically with Bama and LSU. Thus, in my mind, the only way one of the other ten could hope for a victory would be to have an explosive offense that can hit several big plays throughout the game and hope that LSU/Bama has a bad day on offense. Arkansas is the only team I see that has the firepower to pull off that kind of upset. UGA isn't even close.

13. hallowed_hill

We should know who's right in a couple weeks. Whoever's wrong gets idioted itt. Just got real in here.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Them's the breaks.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, hell ya. Love it when things get real.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure I'm willing to claim an intellectual victory for predicting #1 LSU beats Jawja.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, LSU is going to wear Georgia like a hat.

18. hallowed_hill

I don't think they'll win. I just objected to them getting "clobbered brutally."

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're going to fight it a bit in the first half to maintain some semblance of dignity, but by the third they'll be lying back and taking it and by the fourth they'll start to even like it.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i honestly think it's either going to be oklahoma or a bama rematch against LSU.