Steve Jobs: Passed Away

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Oct 5, 2011.

1. WM

WM Active Member

Rip..,

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

R.I.P.

Dude had tremendous vision.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Plus 1

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

And determination. Really successful people never get enough credit for working their rears off.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He was the epitome of the American Dream. One of the greatest innovators of all time.

This coming from someone that only has one Apple product.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What was amazing is that he -- conceptually at least -- didn't invent MP3 players or Smartphones. But he perfected those innovations and branded them in such a way that made them appealing to mass audiences.

Edit: Can't forget Steve Wozniak either.

8. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

cancer does not discriminate. terrible disease.

R.I.P.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

10. volinbham

volinbham Member

Holy Crap - RIP.

One of the great innovators of all time - knew how to invent to solve unarticulated problems and literally changed the world.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I would argue that what you describe is innovation, vs. invention. He wasn't a great inventor necessarily, but was one hell of an innovator - taking those inventions of others and innovating, driving the technology forward to the market with greater potential.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel compelled to go all Debbie Downer/UTGibbs in this thread.

Why do we hero-worship a man for simply being a successful businessman?

What about the ills of designed obsolescence and conflict mineral extraction that he in effect brought to the mainstream?

13. WM

WM Active Member

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Who was the first person to go... "Hm, I wonder what Westboro thinks about this?"

Seriously, who? Because that asshat should be suspended from the Internet.

15. Xela_kebert

Xela_kebert New Member

Those westboro idiots need to be drawn and quartered.

Don't forget all the other things Steve Jobs had his hand in. First laptop with firewire/wifi, innovations at Pixar, The GUI was his brainchild.

16. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

17. volinbham

volinbham Member

Definitely. His greatest skill was seeing how particular technologies and given trends in society blended together to solve unarticulated consumer problems. He saw the links and potential that others could not see and had the persistence to push that vision.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

And ignored the problems that surfaced on other parts of the globe due to his innovations.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ahh...the smell of money.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is hugely ironic to me when I sit in a political ecology course, listen to self-described communists rail against the consumer culture and the harm it does in the form of unfair and environmentally-degrading resource extraction while sitting in front of their Mac laptops.