I See Two Serious Problems

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

For my first post here ever....

Watching the Vols play this year, I've noticed a bunch of issues, however, only two seem to be glaring and worrisome.

1. Terrible Offensive Line play I don't even remember an SEC team having two straight games of negative rushing yards and our RBs aren't that bad, at least not bad enough to get less than 10 yards apiece. To me, it's an OL thing, a passivity up front that isn't improving with time because the same shitty system will be in effect as long as Hiestand is there. As a Packers fan, I knew you don't hire a former Bears offensive coach. To me, it says a lot that Lane looked great on screen passes and opportunities he had beyond the LOS. It suggests very clearly to me that the problem lies in the OL.

2. Lack of speed Damn we are slow. I am really, really, really hoping that this right now is simply a result of mental slowness, i.e. our youth makes us cautious or indecisive, thus creating our speed problem. If not, then we are in trouble in the future because our team is at Vandy speed levels. The secondary was ass-raped yesterday and was only saved because Murray is a below average QB (Honestly, put Bray on Georgia and we lose by 4 TDs.).

Those two issues worry me because I don't see them getting better naturally over time. The rest of our issues are being solved. Depth and experience are being improved as the remnants of the Fulmer recruiting disasters at the end and the Kiffin transition year are replaced and grow older. There are a shocking number of upperclassmen absent from the two deep. The holes in the lineup, at DT, LB and DE are being addressed and we aren't being forced to start schlubs like Darin Gooch anymore. So, the march of time and stability is addressing most of our problems.

However, those above two issues are unfixable without some pointed changes, whether in personnel or staff. Maybe positional changes with something like Johnson going to his natural mike and keeping Maggit at DE, but the speed issue is a serious problem. Slow defenses get destroyed in the SEC, I don't care how big they are. So, going forward, these are the two problems I have the most concern about.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

they'll apparently let anyone in over here.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Hard to argue with that, Uni.

And welcome.

4. Unimane

As usual, quality response, BPV.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself. The backs are pretty much worthless. There's not a guy on the roster now who would have been higher than fifth on the depth chart for the '98 team.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

So glad to have you; basketball season just wouldn't have been the same without you.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Lane's got some potential, but it would be nice if he wasn't depended on to be much more than a third down receiving option at this point. Rajian Neal can't touch the ball ever again. So I assume Marlin Lane is our primary guy, Tom Smith the backup, and Devrin Young in for some gadget stuff.

8. Unimane

The '98 team is a pretty high standard. Lewis, Henry, Stephens and Bryson were an unreal stable of RBs and being 5th among that group could still be a solid SEC RB. I agree that Poole is pretty much worthless, but Lane has some possibilities. I am pretty meh on Smith and either of the recruits.

9. Unimane

Thanks, but I think they'll be a little less turmoil amongst the regulars without Pearl at the helm.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

'twas but a joke. Get over yourself. Welcome to a good board.

11. Unimane

I was kidding, too. Sorry, sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well in writing.