I am much calmer and less critical of coaching today...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I started thinking about this year's senior class.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Good point.

Then I think about our OL that has basically a year and a half under their belt and the running game they are putting together and wonder.

3. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Please don't take this as a defense of the coaching, but it really helps to have a little senior leadership to teach these kids how to handle themselves.

I also considered this fact. DaRick is not the premier receiver that Hunter is. He is a great receiver but he isn't going to consistently beat double coverage. Who then becomes your second receiver. What do they say? Two halves make a whole.

That is when the game planning comes in. If Bray is too impatient to make the big play...then don't give him the option. Go five wide and run the short routes on every play with everybody.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Beechervol

Im not questioning that, everything you said makes good sense.

Im still at a loss for words when we have 3 weeks to prep for this game and we have 2 FGs late in the game and our OL has not opened the first hole. I think they hitched their wagons to Bray, Hunter and Rodgers going into the year and kinda let the run game slide. Im not understanding that. The pass was the strength, but it is made better by a running game. Just a decent one would work.

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I don't disagree at all. You really notice the absence of JJ in SEC play as well.

6. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Here, here , Yes that is one of the most serious things were missing! besides JJ!

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I've said it before...just because a 19 year old weighs 300 pounds that doesn't make him a man. The OL should be playing a little better, but as Hat has reminded us....our backs are either very green or not really that good.

If Dooley is worth his salt, he will definitely take a good look at Hiestand very quickly, and also hire a damn running back coach as Groves suggested. Hell, I'd be on the phone with Eddie Gran every day for the rest of the year.

8. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Yes, I think he needs to get a running backs coach bad, But Heistand is not that great of a line guy, I think he was available as a seconday recommendation until you can find the right guy, I am praying that's the situation.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Let's see how Vandy does running the ball against UGA next week.

10. Beechervol

Yep. Our D lacks a lot and he did make some big plays that we are not getting.

Wilcox has less to work with than Chaney does IMO. Hard to ride him too much.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney has jackshit to work with now. He's had to replace an Olympic level athlete with a white kid from Nashville and a potential all SEC QB with Matt Simms.

The ol is mediocre at best in the run game. It was weak all spring and summer. The only chance of a run game was draws and speed sweeps going in.

Wilcox has been dealt a pretty bad hand too, but the d looks lost and non existent at times. That's a problem. Wilcox was able to outsmart a bunch of mediocre OCs with no talent at Boise and get up for one or two games. He doesn't have that luxury now.

12. Beechervol

Yeah Chaney's hand is getting worse by the second. He had more to work with before the injury bug.

13. Beechervol

"white kid from Nashville" is a little politically incorrect tho.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well it's in there for dramatic effect

15. Beechervol

Well that makes it ok I guess. Better than "cracker" I suppose.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

UGA's senior class isn't all that prominent on this team. And we were primarily de-pantsed by a freshman running back and freshman wideout led by a true soph QB. Also faced two freshman linebackers I believe starting their first games.

17. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

FWIW Murray is not a true soph QB.

18. CD12

CD12 Member

I just can't get onboard the Wilcox bandwagon.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Touche.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And Hughes. That defense had weaknesses at full strength. With respect to Malik, it lost its two best players over the summer. This isn't a defense of Wilcox, but that was devastating.