Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Gonna start this by saying, Im not in to firing coaches off the cuff right after bad losses, and given the situation this includes DD however....

I have seen several mention staff members that are not getting it done, and this seems to be lingering type problems. Who are they, and who is out there that we can get?

My observations.

OL - Just not seeing the improvement expected from young talented players that have several games under their belt.
    Secondary - Im not sure where to go with this, or if this is really a coaching issue instead of youth.
    STs - Not sure what the fix is, but our STs provide no advantage and in many cases put us in a hole.
    RBs - We need a coach.

The rest, Youth or players being out of position makes it hard to grip.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I really question if the DB's are being properly coached. They NEVER look for the ball.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Heard this before.

I think the secondary suffers from playing a lot of youth/inexperience, guys playing out of position, your best player being a moron, and probably a couple of them that have to play just aren't as good.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

And the O-line to me is probably the most disturbing part of this, those guys aren't showing anything. if they were going to be the line we all were told they might be I'd have thought they'd be more effective. they're not even mediocre.

5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

You are not supposed to look for ball IP you look at eyes of receiver...the look for the ball thing was back when it got you out of PI calls...they changed the rule IIRC so now they train to look at eyes...

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Guys it is Dooley btw...he is the problem...great recruiting coordinator though...

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The key feature this year was supposed to be improvement. If we see team improvement, we start feeling confident.

Our RBs have not improved. Our secondary does not look improved. Our kicking game does not seem improved. Have we gotten pressure? How do we stand sack wise?

The biggest question, in my mind, though, is can we judge this year anymore as to whether we have improved? We are already banged up, and we are just now getting into the schedule. I'm really starting to think we struggle to get 6 wins, even though we have 3 more very winnable games. 6 win season seems like the new ceiling. Not sure if that is an "improvement" considering our lost skill players, or not.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see how Dooley can keep going on with a GA as the RB coach.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Has Terry Joseph ever proven anything? He doesn't even really seem to be that good of a recruiter. Teague and Brewer haven't taken steps forward like they need to. Waggner seems a tad better, I suppose. He's still not a good enough tackler to play safety, in my opinion.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

Hard to tell much about the RBs, I'm not sure Tecmo Super Bowl Bo Jackson gets much done behind the current OL. That said, I agree.

11. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Guys Youth is a wicked thing, we all wish we could go back and be a little younger age wise and do a few things different. But these guys are still not mentally or physically ready, for the life style they are hopping will get them to the next level with. Realistically , you need show you have the mentality to grab the line that has been handed to you and pull up , not grab and hang on those guys just play at the college level and go on to other things.

12. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I think 6 wins was the realistic minimum going into this season, but that wasn't accounting for UGA and USCe being garbage.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

To be fair, it also wasn't accounting for injuries to Bray, Hunter, and Poole.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You can't put much into the next month or so given the injuries (in regards to the staff) past effort and improving.

15. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

True.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Brewer isn't even playing safety anymore. He's like rover, and apparently, not a very good one.

The key issue for me is the complete absence of QB pressure. Sure you can hang some of that one of one coverage on Teague, but you can throw that ball all day long if there is no pressure. No cornerback at this level is good enough to hang with even mediocre receivers in one on ones if there is no pressure over the course of the game. You can take lots of deep shots if you know a) you can pick up the lb blitz; and b) your tackles and ends won't pressure you.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If his job is to rove away from the ball, the man needs serious consideration for All-American. It's crazy he gets so many snaps and appears to never even be in the game.

I get that pressure on the QB is an issue, but given the relatively soft coverage our guys our prone to playing it's disheartening to see our top guy get burned deep 4 times in one game.