I am much calmer and less critical of coaching today...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Oct 9, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to see a lot more of Gordon blitzing off the edge and setting the corner. He's more physical than the majority of the defensive line.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd say losing Lathers was a lot worse than losing Hughes. Hughes was effective about 10% of the time.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hughes at least took up space and caused a trainwreck at the line. Hood gets blasted off the ball every single play. Couch has been effective, but it's Tennessee's luck to get an asthmatic that can only play 12 snaps at a time.

But yes, Lathers was far and away the best LB and it really really hurt losing him. AJ is having to play out of position and he doesn't have the wheels to make the plays Lathers did.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Are you freaking serious?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's an asthmatic that has struggled with conditioning.

6. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I just hope Simms doesn't get killed, forcing Worley out of red shirt.

The attrition this year is unbelievable. Coaching is now with smoke and mirrors and duct tape and baling wire and...

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've had two days. Opinions pretty much the same as sat night.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Opinions haven't changed. I've passed through my stages of grief, though. Expectations are back to where they were the last couple of seasons.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've been called a negavol, told to turn in my fan card, a drama queen, etc. It's been fun.

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Same here. I snapped at anyone today at work that tried to find a silver lining, refuting all comers with precision.

11. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

This is true, and yes we do not need for this to happen!

12. Vader

Vader New Member

Agreed. Should have gone with "cracker" or "graymeat"

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Almost went with Honky

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Forgot that one.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Me either. I know the we are young and thin, but I have seen nothing schematically out of him. Hell, I was a D Coordinator for 7 years of my 15 years of coaching HS. I could call the shit that we are getting. Well, check that. I would blitz the shit out of people. Wouldn't hurt because our secondary is already getting beat. Couldn't be much worse, and at least we may actually get a little pressure on the QB.

The OL baffles me beyond belief. We had better holes opened when we started the walk-on Sullins brothers. We did have a pretty damn good RB in Hardesty then but damn. Hiestand hasn't shown any indication that he can get it done. I am still mad at the world. I don't expect us to be world beaters, but I do expect improvement. I feel we have regressed.

I know this is a downer post. I just needed to vent some frustrations.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee had a much better line coach too

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Maybe the first on the chopping block then. No reason to have better talent and get worse to the point of being awful.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would give my left nut to have him back. What we have now is flat embarrassing.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't been critical of this staff at all until that slop that was seen last Saturday. I know a few ol from 2009 that credit Cregg with their turnaround from 2008.

20. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Yep,I think Cregg and Browning were pretty good together!