Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Got about 20 dolphin this year, about 10 mutton snapper and black grouper. Killed the hog fish and yellow tail. Got a 200ish pound shark that was a waste of an hour of my life. I live 2 hours from Lake Okeechobee and have been bass fishing twice, wtf is wrong with me? We caught about 12 gators out of the big lake over the past couple of years.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

kmf600.............

[​IMG]

Oops. Did I just break a site rule on disseminating personal info????? Apologies.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My dad spent two weeks on Okeechobee this spring bass fishing and didn't catch shit. They finally quit and started crappie fishing

4. JayVols

Good move. Crappie is delicious. Bass is a trash fish.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

But they are fun to fish

6. JayVols

I can see this; however, I'm a rather, uh...let's say, robust person. I'll take the fun of good eatin' over the fun of a good fight any day of the week and twice on Sundays. That's why I pretty much exclusively fish walleyes when you're talking freshwater fisheries.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I bet I've sent 10,000 or so to their death in hot grease and batter

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

9. JayVols

You need to have a signature akin to mine. "Eliminating the crappie scourge, one fish at a time."
    - Groves

I do dispatch my wallies with a swift and decisive blow to the top of the head with a fish billy stick. It even has grooves for your fingers on the handle. I get some sadistic pleasure from the full body "Death Quiver" that results from the single blow. They have tall dorsal fins. It usually stands straight up and waves like Old Glory in a stiff breeze. It's freakin' awesome.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't been seriously crappie fishing in two years. I grew up doing though, damn near every weekend

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I guess I don't eat any freshwater fish because I fill the freezer with the good stuff from the ocean in 3 trips a year. Then I fish for large mouth and peacock bass for "fun". I guess if I had to eat freshwater fish I'd have a different view. My brother who lives in Lenoir City goes trout fishing a lot up there, and eats catfish, but that catfish tastes like the butthole from the alligators I kill.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to kill an alligator

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Truth!

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It will get your heart pumping. We can't bait and come back the next day like they do on swamp people. We cast over them with a snatch hook, fight them like a giant fish for about 1/2 an hour, then shoot them in the back of the head with a bangstick. It's basically a pole with a 1 inch barrel that you jab into the back of the skull. Good fun. The first time we wouldn't even drink beer while we were hunting, since then we learned a lot. Smallest one was 7 feet, biggest was 12

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

At what point do you decide when you should stop drinking beer, loss of one hand? two? ??

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The beer take away the pain of the hand loss. Really, the bang stick is worse than the gator in my opinion.

17. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Kid caught a sweet brown up the road, just a but under 12#, can't get the photo to resize to attach it.

Damned impressive fish.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This involves the North Fork and main Holston Rivers. You can fish the Middle Fork and the South Fork. Trout fishing is good on the South Fork with Smallmouth also there. The Weir Damn just below the damn is very productive.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I generally fish the stretch below Cherokee dam.