I heard Roy Kramer at lunch today

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Oct 17, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And as a result am more convinced as ever that college football is never going to change. Quite honestly, it's because the people running it are incapable of thinking differently. When you can stand there and seriously say college athletes with a probably 6 figure market value for endorsements shouldn't be able to work/be paid/etc. because they would lose some of their $450 pell grant money they receive each month then it's impossible to go any farther.

About the lone positive he said was that we should not worry, Tennessee/Bama will not be sacrificed for expansion. I realize he's not calling the shots anymore, but he's still a good barometer of how the people running the show think.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any way to spin this into cutting the federal deficit? In terms of no longer paying out those Pell Grants, I mean.

I know, stupid.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He told me the same thing in 2001 and that's why I've been saying since then we might as well quit getting hopes up for a playoff.

Also, there's a decent chance he wrote whatever speech you heard five minutes before he gave it. That might surprise you, because he's a pretty good speaker.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. CardinalVol

And the money paid to the athletes would be taxed.

I think we're on to something here.

5. CardinalVol

Doesn't surprise me at all. He's asked to speak on one topic only, and he knows it pretty well. I may not agree with a lot of what he said, but he was still entertaining and good to listen to.

He spoke about conference expansion, student welfare, and the BCS. My guess is there are few that know their stance on these three issues any better than him.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Some have pretended that he's a mean old grinch out to ruin college football with his BCS formula. However, most forget he won a coached a team to a national championship through the playoffs. He'd be fine with such a system if it were viable.

7. CardinalVol

I guess my stance is I think given ESPN and other TV network deals to fuel funding and excitement, a playoff is viable and IMO would be more lucritive than the current bowl system.

And I am one of the lone proponents of the 16 team playoff.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the real question re paying players is how much is enough? is an extra 20K a year really going to stop players from taking golden handshakes when offered? me thinks no.

9. CardinalVol

Agree with that. There is no way to control the boosters. IMO, it's faulty to try.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't know Mr. Kramer personally, but I know his son Steve. If he and his dad are anything alike, Roy is a helluva guy.

I miss Roy. Slive sucks balls.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm one of the opponents of a playoff in any form that has been suggested, but it doesn't really matter. It appears that we are headed for a world made of superconferences and some sort of mini playoff system.

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

One thing I like about the BCS format is that every game has such a high level of importance, you have to walk the line of perfection all year long and only the best teams do that right?

With that said I wouldn't mind a playoff either, but there is always going to be [itch bay]ing. Usually with the BCS you have a few teams left out of the C.G. that feel they got shafted, with a 16 team playoff, the number of teams who feel like they have been shafted will go up.

13. Kramer loved us. He covered our asses many a time. :)

14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I think Cam needs to pay his Taxes!