When did not raising taxes become a tax break?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Oct 17, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Republicans will "get a vote on whether they believe we should protect tax breaks for small business owners and middle-class Americans, or whether we should protect tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires,"

Obama rips GOP opposition to jobs bill - CNN.com

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Probably the same time that letting tax breaks expire at the end of their term became a tax hike. (I'm pulling your chain...)

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if obama gets reelected I bet he tries to impliment a wealth tax.

4. JayVols

Big if. I don't think it will happen.

I think you know my feelings about corporate taxes and when they should receive massive tax breaks.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't think corporate taxes are neccasarily too high, but there is no question that corporations are moving operations to lower tax countries with similar labor costs. so therefore if you want to create jobs a corporate tax cut of course would have a positive effect. i hear a lot about GE not paying taxes, but taht is a short term tax loss carry forward. i'd be willing to bet GE has paid hundreds of billions of taxes before that. obama needs to stop focusing on marginal tax rates and instead go after real estate loopholes and other bs tax cheat stuff. the working rich are already paying WAY too much in taxes.

6. JayVols

It probably is not a great idea, but I am turning into an isolationist. I'm quickly coming to the opinion that we should tax the hell out of imports. Especially US companies that go overseas. I know this might not affect google as much as others. I'm sure that's probably not the best way to address the situation, but that's how I feel.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

history has proven that to be by far teh worst thing an economy can do. it stagnates innovation. might work fine for a while, but sooner or later it would result america being a second class economy.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Protectionism would be a bad idea, because that door always swings both ways.

9. janinaB

janinaB New Member

That, I'm not pretty sure of. Tax is a big issue as well as recession.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Pretty simple. The government views it as "their money" and they are allowing you to keep "x" amount. Basically everybody works for the government. Political play on words.

11. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

that's the kind of thinking that gave us the Chevy Monza, Chevy Chevette, Dodge Charger 2.2, and so many other shitty American cars during the 70's and 80's

12. JayVols

I qualified the response in that I said it wasn't a good idea. I tried to make the point that it was my emotional not rational response. I guess I did a poor job of that.....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011