NASCAR Chase

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TennFan, Oct 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TennFan

TennFan New Member

How many are keeping up with the Chase races? Any favorites or who will win if Jimmie doesn't? Can he be counted out yet?

2. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Unless Jimmie wins/finishes very well Sunday and the guys ahead of him all fall out/finish poorly... then I think he's done. May be already.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

How farfetched is this scenario? There is at least one big wreck at Talladega, very probable. Included in the wreck are the three point leaders, certainly possible. The wreck is in the first half of the race and the points for the top three are 7, 8, & 9 just for arguments sake. Kyle Busch gets 30 points and Jimmy Johnson wins getting 48 points.
    The standings after Talladega are:

1. Jimmie Johnson - 2216
    2. Kyle Busch - 2215
    3. Carl Edwards - 2210
    4. Harvick - 2206
    5. Kenseth - 2205

For convenience I have ignored the other drivers within a race worth of points of Edwards.

Talladega could and very well may throw the whole Chase into a real spin cycle.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

from what I've seen, points wise, this a crazy exciting Chase. Just from what I've watched and heard from others, the actual racing isn't as exciting.

and more importantly, great to see ya here old man. Hope you're doing great Broyles.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Who you calling an old man you whipper snapper?

6. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'm going to call it now: Johnson is done.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Going into the last race with three points separating Edwards and Stewart, it is one of the most wide open season finales ever, certainly the closest Chase. The only one possibly closer was when Kulwicki beat out Davey Allison and Bill Elliott. I picked Smoke earlier, and I still give him the edge, but I am not as sure as I was before Phoenix. I expected Tony to overtake Carl there, and not look back, and it looked like that would be the case as TS dominated most of the race, leading the most laps, but a minor miscue in the pits cost him track position that couldn't be made up. I gave Stewart the edge mainly due to his experience of winning two previous titles to none for Edwards, but so far Carl has shown no signs of cracking under the pressure or being affected by Tony's smack talk. I predict the title will be decided by an error by one of the two teams, either a pit stop miscue such as dropping a lugnut or a bad decision by the crew chief or driver. A late caution and it's resulting pit stops could determine this championship.