Who is the best musician in the last ten years?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. WM

WM Active Member

To me, this has been a famine period with groundbreaking music. I honestly haven't bought a new album in ages and am living mainly in the past on my iPod collection.

My choice would be Jack White, a giant among midgets right now.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is just a very different industry these days. Much more manufactured, synthetic.

3. WM

WM Active Member

A marginal close second would be The Killers. Brandon's solo effort has been shit though, verdict will be more on their next album.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Music started sucking when it went from selling albums to selling singles on Itunes. There is no incentive to put together a great album from start to finish anymore. I would agree on Jack White, can't really think of anyone else right now.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

For me it would be Keane. Sure, they are a tad pretentious, but they write wonderful songs and are making amazing sound with essentially a three-piece band.

6. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

The Avett Brothers

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Best musician as far as actually ability on a given instrument or best musical act?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like it hasn't been that great of a decade. RHCP has put out three pretty good albums. Drawing a blank trying to think of others that have avoided duds. My Morning Jacket has been alright.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I hate to say it, but Kanye should be in the discussion

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Definitely in the discussion.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Without question.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think Adele's voice is absolutely amazing. But for decade long endurance, I pick Norah Jones. Her voice is incredible and her ability on the piano is amazing.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Either of those two being in the conversation means it has been the worst decade of music since the first time a caveman made a xylophone out of wooly mammoth bones.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

i wholeheartedly disagree. It's clearly better than the 80s for one. Mainstream rock has sucked and country music is hit or miss, but other genres have clearly shined this decade. And I for one, appreciate that.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The best would have to be rbroyles.

16. volinbham

volinbham Member

Modest Mouse ain't bad

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I give more credit to the 80s than you do. Tears for Fears was pretty solid. George Strait and ***** Whitley came out of the 80s. It is also clearly the decade for fantastic one-hit wonders.

Edit: Haha. Censor strikes again.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Bwaahaaha! Thanks for the thought if serious, but I ain't no musician, just a vocalist. I hate to admit it, but I don't know who almost all of the people are that have been mentioned in this thread. As far as a good musician, Vince Gill is damned good. Plays all styles on several instruments.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Dead serious. You're good people.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think other genres have really shined, but a few select songs/albums have been force-fed.