A few numbers

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Oct 23, 2011.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

7 games through the season, Tennessee ranks nationally:

115th in Rushing Offense
    91st in Total Offense
    80th in Pass Efficiency Defense
    97th in Net Punting
    91st in Turnover Margin
    93rd in Sacks

Our best categories are Passing Offense and Passing Efficiency, both at 35th

2. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Speaking of numbers, a true freshman led the Vols in tackles last night against top flight SEC competition. I was really concerned about AJ's speed, but when he makes reads that cat makes plays. I think he had 13 or 14 tackles last night.

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

My biggest concern has to be the secondary. Losing JJ was huge but I still thought they would be one of the better groups on the team.

4. cotton

I like what I've seen out of both freshman linebackers. That being said, lots of tackles on a bad defense can be misleading. Somebody has to eventually bring the ball carrier down on most plays.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

AJ made a lot of tackles within 3 yards of the los.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The linebackers took a step forward yesterday. Our biggest issues were failure to get to the QB and the deep ball.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was well pleased with the freshman LB's last night. Our DB's seem to not be able to cover their sexual organs with a condom. I have been most irate with our lack of a pass rush and the inability to contain anything on the edges. We suck at containment.

Edit. I even think Austin Johnson had a decent game in the middle.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Supposedly Justin Coleman is about to get a lot more work and Marsalis Teague a lot less.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That would suit me just fine.

10. cotton

Wasn't derogatory towards AJ, just the stat in general.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, Teague might as well move back to WR. We can put anyone back there just to get burned over and over again.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know, but what you're saying was a good point.

JJ led the teams in tackles last year. That's awful. You don't want your FS leading the team in tackles.

AJ was coming up and making a tackle in the gap before Richardson could really get going.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he'd be in a lot better place if he'd stayed there. We needed the depth at corner, though.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The rushing is no longer as bad as the stat says and the passing is falling quickly. Now that we turned loose a couple of linemen and are running to gaps instead of choosing, we're respectable there. Passing was nonexistent for two whole games. Run D between the tackles is very stout. Run D wide looks stupid. Back 4 are a disaster.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Those numbers were much higher three weeks ago. They're Bray numbers. They'll drop slowly each week.