I had to turn off the UT/Bama game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I could have written the narrative of that game last week, and you would have been alarmed at the accuracy to which the game stuck to my predicted script. Good but not great defense. Fired up for the game. They’ll keep things close in the first half, but they won’t be able to move the ball. And this is an unsustainable business model. Eventually Bama will score. Not solely becaue our defense is getting tired, but simply because our defense was never good enough in the first place to keep them totally bottled up and continue to force 3 and outs. Speaking of 3 and outs, we were going to continue to get a lot of them because we couldn’t move the ball; were constantly faced with 3rd and 8ish; Simms couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a [dadgum] boat; and we weren’t going to continue to get them on fake punts (though Palardy has a nice arm. That was an impressive strike he threw on the fake punt…he should be QB). As such, you just continue to give Trent Richardson and A.J. McCarron – who, btw, is way way way better than Greg McElroy; he throws a nice deep ball – chances to move the eventual closer to the imminent. Bama was going to get a run of TDs and the game was going to be over. And that’s what happened.

I had already turned the game off before they burned Justin Worley’s redshirt. Many question the wisdom of this decision, but I support it. There is simply no way that he could be worse than Matt Simms. Not possible. Matt Simms is worse than 2008 and pre-UGA 2009 Jonathan Crompton. He brings nothing to the table. He hangs on to the ball for weeks. He has no touch. No instincts. He locks in on receivers. He overthrows receivers 5 yards in front of him. He throws the ball 88 miles per hour to receivers 5 yards in front of him. He has zero – I repeat zero – of the skills normally associated with good QB play. He is a festering festering cesspool of inadequacy. A flaming pile of dogtrash. Not personally. But as a QB. Bring on Justin Worley. Sure, I see the argument that you don’t burn the third string QBs redshirt when you’ve got Bray (maybe?) coming back in three weeks. But that argument gets trumped by the combination of an undeniable fact and an extremely reasonable inference.

Undeniable Fact:
    Simms is as useless as long legs making way to a tight butt coupled with a supple, pert rack…..all on a nun. With Simms, we would lose to both South Carolina and Arkansas, and things could get dangerously close against Vanderbilt. With Worley – who I have to assume is way way better than Simms; he was the was Gatorade National Player of the Year for the love of god (Gatorade® National Football Player of the Year: Justin Worley -- ROCK HILL, S.C., Dec. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --) – we at least have a chance against USC and Arkansas, and probably assure ourselves a win against Vandy. I’m leaving MTSU and Kentucky out of this discussion for obvious reasons. We could beat those trainwrecks with Smokey the Dog taking snaps. And, plus, Bray (may?) be back for Kentucky, which would be fun because it is always nice to get your 28th straight win against a program in an authoritative fashion.

Extremely Reasonable Inference:
    The players have no confidence in Simms, and keeping him in kills morale. Especially guys like Da’Rick Rogers and Michael Ryvera, who you could see were getting frustrated by the continued throwing of uncatchable balls on what should be very easy throws. This is probably made worse by the fact that they were used to getting extremely catchable balls put right in their hands time and time again with Bray. Listen, I never expected Simms to be Bray. I knew he wasn’t. But dear god I had no idea how bad Simms was.

Rant over.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You pretty much summed up exactly how I feel. I too turned the game off and missed Worley's entrance to the game. I did check the box score though and he didn't have any pass attempts.

"Simms is as useless as long legs making way to a tight butt coupled with a supple, pert rack…..all on a nun." = GOLD

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

AL going to the air was inevitable. Our only prayer was that our sorry pass D could handle three very pedestrian receivers and a mediocre QB, which is apparently too much to ask. I will say that most QBs, given the time that we gave, will look very very good and show almost no decision making problems.

For my money, with guys out there showing so few starts, get the hell after them and force quick decisions. They had time for Richardson to stay in a block, then leak out when we finally broke through. I know our DB corps is inexperienced, but they aren't going to make any plays, so force opposing QBs into a few bad ones. If that means bringing guys off the edge, so be it.

4. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Wilcox should blitz Brewer every passing down for the rest of the year. Got to find away to get to the qb & Brewer is useless in coverage.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

absolutely. If Moore can't beat that, his is a useless scholarship.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Before this season started I was honestly thinking our secondary was going to be solid.

JJ is gone for being a dumbass
    Lanier is either under performing or not as good as everyone thought (hopefully under performing)
    Moore is in the wind (not sure how much he's even played)
    Teague seems to have regressed
    Waggner moved to CB because he's not big enough to fill the safety spot and Teague's cover skills suck ass

Full of disappoinment right there...

7. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

Hate to say it, but I turned it off after the 2nd quick Bama touchdown early in the 3rd. This team can only seem to play one half of football.