Your GOP nominee...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 27, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

will be African American or Mormon.

Poll: Romney at or tied for top spot in first 4 states to vote – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Your ticket may contain both.

Perry is done. He looked like an empty suit in the Las Vegas debate.

Bachmann's ship is in flames and sinking into a sea of kerosene.

Ron Paul is still Ron Paul.

Huntsman is a poor Mormon man's Huckabee.

Now, does anyone dare challenge Obama for the nomination? I doubt it, but perhaps they should in the current political climate of the democrat party/Left.

2. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

Perry came across pretty well in his Tuesday night appearance on Bill O'Reilly's show. He just really, really sucks in a debate.

The last couple of nights, Huntsman and Paul have appeared on FNC's "Special Report". Huntsman did pretty well, Paul not so much.

Paul is obviously a smart man, but he hasn't learned to slow his brain down to match his mouth's speed, there were times when he seemed to almost be babbling rather than answering a question.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Perry's not dead yet. This one isn't over.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i honestly think romney is the only one with a chance of beating obama and that's pretty sad.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

And right now I think he beats Obama and its not really tight.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

does he win the primary though?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Do you happen to be searching for the Holy Grail?

8. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

No love for Cain? I think he will be in the top 2 in the first few primaries.

To me, Romney does not represent any significant change from America's current trajectory. I hope many other voters agree.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

perry and cain (i actually like cain) are just too unpolished to win the general IMO. both are bound to say something that makes them unelectable. romney strikes me as a clinton clone (not a compliment) in that he'll do whatever the polls tell him to do and he's slick as hell. at this point i consider him the lessor of evils though.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Haha. Romney fatigue has already started and Cain's appeal maybe hit its high water mark. Everyone else is dead in the water it would appear and Perry still has money and a strong organization. Because the Republican primary is now proportional early on it is going to keep candidates hanging around a longer time.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

tis but a flesh wound.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just can't imagine Perry getting past Cain or Romney.

Cain's smoking ad was brilliant, for all the criticism it has received. You can't tell me that it didn't resonate with some of the blue collar every-day Republicans. I'm not saying they all smoke, but they all at least know people who do and revel in the anti-PC undertone.

13. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

It will be very interesting to watch the primary turnout. A lot of people don't really pay much attention to politics, except at election time. When the average family sits down to consider who they'll vote for, I could see many of them thinking, "Romney again? Didn't we do this before with Dole and McCain?"

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dole and McCain both old enough that when they said "the party of Lincoln," they literally meant they voted for the guy. Romney is much more legitimate at this point in time than they were when they ran.

Dole and McCain both had a fair amount of weight from being veterans. Romney's "legitimacy" stems partly from his experience in the private sector.

I think he is a very different sort of candidate if you look closely, but that is just my opinion and I am not a Republican anyway. A Republican might see it differently.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think this is Romney's to lose. I like Cain, but he is going to fade unless he hits a home run in Iowa a la Obama in 08.

16. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Agree that he is legitimate in a different way, but he's just another "it's your turn" candidate to me. If this was a different time, electing a moderate R wouldn't be such a big deal. The next prez, hopefully a R, will have to fight for many things which will be unpopular to D's and some R's. A lot of career R's have proven themselves unwilling to fight for things like massive spending cuts, overturning Obamacare, lowering/simplifying taxes, immigration/borders, etc.

Romney's foray into Romneycare is enough to make me want anybody but him.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I really don't know why folks give Romney a hard time about creating a state program in a state that decided it wanted it. What does that have to do with a federal program? States should be able to do what they want, right?

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I showed the ad to about 60 eligible voters yesterday. I would say 1/4 thought it was brilliant, 1/4 thought it was a joke, 1/4 were offended, and 1/4 had no reaction. I think that sums up how Americans sort of feel about Cain.

But Cain will do well enough to get some delegates which should make for a rowdy/interesting convention.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yes, and Governor's traditionally do well for proving to be resourceful like this. But in a primary where you are trying to out-conservative the other, getting type-cast a liberal is no fun.

20. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

We dont need no stinking politicians in Washington