What's The Biggest Obstacle UT Faces In Baseball?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by hatvol96, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Weather? The depth of the SEC? Lack of tradition? General fan apathy? Discuss among the group.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

All of the above are definitely problems. I don't really know that an improvement in team play would even generate that much interest. Knoxville just in general doesn't seem to give much of a shit about baseball at the college or professional level. But it's hard to say those problems are really that much an hindrance when Vandy has to deal with most of the same issues and manages to be pretty decent. They've made the tournament 6 years in a row now.Perhaps they have a better fan turnout, but I wouldn't really bet on it.

3. I don't know shit about HS baseball recruiting, but it seems as if Serrano is doing pretty well for himself. He's gotten a few commitments from guys that had Vandy offers.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Judging from Vandy's success, I'd say it's more of a fan/administration willpower thing. Serrano may get the ball rolling, and hopefully this time the momentum sticks.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Players really like him. We'll see what they can do. They absolutely quit on the ass clown that was just fired.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All of the players hated him from the day he was hired.

I really don't see how he was able to recruit anyone.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

not being able to drink a beer at the ballpark.

8. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

No idea what all the signings mean. Vandy offers as stated I guess mean good get?

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Administration. All play a factor, but a commitment to excellence is key.

10. I don't think it is worth of a new thread but pitcher Sal Romano signed to play with the Reds. He was one of UT's better commits from last years class.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What do you think, hat? I'll admit I haven't watched enough college baseball over the years to be able to tell what makes a program elite besides the players on the field. Do teams like UF, Vandy, etc all have great fan support?