Presidential Campaign 2012

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

This the smoking one? It is being made into a big deal, which I suspect was the original intent. Like it or not, many Americans still smoke. And the pundits grilling him over this the most should remember that our President smokes.

3. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Will be the first presidential election I get to vote in.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I remember that feeling myself.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

6. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

QP I'm joining the Natl Guard. I'll be going to basic this summer and missing the fall semester to do AIT to become an MP. Then I'm going to start school back in the spring and contract with ROTC. I'll be having my tuition paid for and be making nearly a grand a month while going to school.

7. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

My first election was 1988. I wasn't all that into politics, but I knew there was something about Michael Dukakis that I didn't like, so I voted for Daddy Bush.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Congratulations and good luck

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2004 was mine. Little Bush got mine then

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Perry polling at 6 %. Ouch.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i honestly think mitch daniels could start running right now and win in a landslide. longer people see these guys the worse they do.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Daniels would have been my guy for sure.

13. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I liked Christie

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A few developments this past week.

Cain is rising but is being attacked from all sides, both right and left. At least in the short term these attacks have seemed to help him. Romney is a solid 1-2 and is being anointed as the "safe" choice by folks like David Frum, Bush's former speechwriter turned prolific pundit. Perry has put his chips in the Iowa basket and is currently polling well in Wisconsin, though he is a distant 3-4. The big surprise? The resurgence of Newt Gingrich, who keeps hanging around, including polling well in North Carolina.

One more thing I heard this week through the grapevine. As of two months ago, Dems were conceding Ohio to the Republicans. Now, it appears that OH's governor combined with Senate Bill 5 might be toxic enough to give Democrats renewed life in that state.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i know others have said it, but how does cain not have a planned response to the sexual harrassment accusations? you KNOW they will come out eventually. he's looking a little bush league.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Cain does have a response. It's 9-9-9. Just like his response to everything else....

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Feels a little fake. Timing doesn't make much sense. Wreaks of Perry, no matter how you approach it.

19. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

too vague to be taken that seriously, IMO. Until they produce some actual details, I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Cain's campaign strategist hasn't exactly handled this with great aplomb.

It doesn't really matter, though. People that like Cain will use this as further proof the system is out to get him. But if he loses Iowa and then NH it puts a lot of pressure on him to perform well in SC and Florida.