The St. Louis Cardinals

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tidwell, Oct 30, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think so, but I don't know how serious it's going to be.

I doubt it.

If Joe Maddon wants to come to St Louis, then hell yes bring him on.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I truly feel Oquendo has earned his shot at a manager's position somewhere. I'm just not sure St. Louis is where he has earned that spot.

3. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

So true. St. Louis is a big job for an inexperienced manager. I would have to go with Maddon if you could give him. I would consider that a homerun hire. What about Bobby Valentine? Seems like he would have the perfect personality to fill the big shoes that LaRussa is leaving behind. Although, I am not sure how he and Duncan would mesh, since it seems like he wants to return next year. That might help Oquendo get the job.

4. CardinalVol

I'm not sure I could think of a situation right now where I would consider Valentine a good hire.

5. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Cool, may I ask you why?

6. CardinalVol

From a personal standpoint, other than the fake glasses bit, I don't really care for him. I think he benefitted a lot from managing a New York club to be perceived better than he is.

From a professional standpoint - when next season gets here, it will be 10 years since he coached in MLB. He's interviewed for 6 jobs since the middle of 2010 and hasn't gotten any of them. I think Maddon, Tito, Pendleton and Oquendo would all be better options.

I just don't think it's a good move. I think his ship has sailed from being a MLB manager. Enjoy the ESPN gig or go back to Japan.

JMO, IMO, JMHO

7. CardinalVol

So the Cards have asked for permission to interview Sandberg.

Not my first choice, but the possibility of what could become of that intrigues me and makes me laugh.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think this is a gigantic "[uck fay] You" to Epstein and the Cubs.

I don't believe he'll get the job but he would probably fare well if he did get it.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think Ryno would make a great choice to manage a team in the big leagues. If Maddon says no, Ryno would be my number one guy. What say the Cardinal faithful about a Cubbie great taking over the reigns?

10. CardinalVol

I watched Sandberg a bit when he was in AA with the Cubs in Sevierville. No doubt in my mind he's going to make a tremendous big league manager. For the life of me I don't know why the Cubs picked Quade over him last year.

According to the expected interview candidates listed at - Cardinals start manager interviews today - he's probably bracketted as my #2 choice with Oquendo behind Tito.

Given the Cards committment to developing a farm system and the number of younger guys who will probably be playing a role in the upcoming years, I would not be surprised at all of Ryno got it.

11. CardinalVol

A tweet from Gammons earlier today -

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Did the Cubs ask to interview Oquendo? Because if so, I'm happy, and also angry.

13. CardinalVol

No idea. Looks like their first two are Mike Maddux and Pete Mackanin.

14. fl0at_

I'd rather have Oquendo, but I doubt he could pass the manager exam.

I think Cards should take him, though. Why in the world you guys are interviewing Sandberg, I have no idea.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I thought the Cubs were looking for a guy with managerial experience at the big league level, and that's why Epstein told Sandberg no? Where did Mike Maddux get his managing experience in MLB?

16. fl0at_

I don't think Theo meant specifically GM experience, just big-league experience on a staff. Sandberg has spent his entire time in the minors, I believe.

Maddux has had at least some big league coaching experience.

I'd be surprised if Maddux isn't top of the list, especially after Epstein seeing if Greg was down to come back on in support of his brother.

17. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Probably so.

Mackanin would be an interesting hire, I think. The Reds were like 20 under .500 when he took over in mid-season a few years ago and I believe he had them over .500 for his brief time as manager before they decided to go with Dusty permanently.

18. CardinalVol

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

It's like I've always said. When you have a choice between a two time World Series champion manager and a guy addled with concussions with zero managerial experience at any level, you've gotta go with the guy addled with concussions and no managerial experience at any level.

20. CardinalVol

Wasn't expecting this one. That said, I kinda like it.

My guess is the staff will remain largely in place and help bring him along.