Football as a War Game: The Annotated Journals of Neyland

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by InVolNerable, Oct 30, 2012.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Does anyone remember the publishing house that posted they were selling them. It might have been for the same $50, but at one time I know Amazon was more expensive. I think they were out of Nashville.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Falcon Press (2002 printing)

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Never mind. It was Falcon press out of Nashville but they just sold out a few days ago and - as Beecher was probably referring to - it sounds like they are selling the rights back to the Kozar family so no more copies at least in the near future.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah it sucks.

The used market will be next to nothing for a book like this unless your hard up for $. This is not the kind of book you read and pass on to someone else.

Surely somebody will figure out it's still in demand. I missed getting a copy by just a few days.

5. Beechervol

Well. Being sold out was partially true.
    They were supposed to be sending their remaining copies back to the Kozar family but they have worked out a deal to sell a few more before the 31st of Dec when they will send the remaining copies (if there is any) back to the family. At that point the family will more than likely sell those copies and try to work out a new deal with another publisher to make a second printing. The nice lady I talked to (Ann) said that she thought it would go back into print but it may take awhile. They have less than a hundred copies in stock in Nashville. I drove out there and purchased a few copies for gifts and one for myself. If you want a copy without having to wait for the next issue, time is of the essence. They are currently 49$ and from what I have seen in just a few mins that's a steal for this book.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I only get to visit the copy I gave to my parents, but it is definitely worth ensuring one is in the family.

7. BearGapVol73

BearGapVol73 Member

I just ordered two from Falcon Press. I'm going to make my brother trade me his shotgun for the second one.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Nice

9. Beechervol

Hard core.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I can sum up the entire book in one sentence: outnumber the opposition at the point of attack. It's beautiful in its timeless truths of the game.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maxim #5 of the 38 may be my favorite.

"A team that won't be beat can't be beat."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Napoleonic.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

My two arrived at my parents' house today.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well it does say "as a war game" right on the cover, after all.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There's a Sherlock joke here somewhere.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The beauty of Neyland's off-tackle play is how you adjust to how the defense lines up. So no matter how the defense lines up to stop it, you have an answer to it.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Neyland's respect to the weakside is a lesson I learned from the book.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just started glancing through it. Very interesting book.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm guessing he used a lot of jet sweep action as well

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he won with blocking scheme on offense, by understanding everything in the world about defense.