The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Lady at worked asked me "should I get out?" I was astounded. "NO! What are the options? Get out now and lose a bunch of money. Stay in and it goes down even more, in which case you are not retiring even if you got out. Stay in and it goes back up." People naturally panic in that situation, but I pride myself on (hopefully) being level headed enough to see what is really going on.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Absolutely. I am now 10-11 years away from potential early retirement, so I can continue with greater risk for awhile longer.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

That would have been a damn shame.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Buy a mobile saw mill and cut custom slabs and retire now. You're welcome

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have 10 years to retirement eligibility- I'll be 52. I can't get crazy. My plan is to retire from teaching then do something else. What? I'm not quite sure, but I prefer to do something where I have no responsibilities other than myself. Or I could drive 20-25 minutes to teach in VA for 5 years to get vested in their system- double dipping by getting a paycheck from VA while drawing TN retirement. Or I could work homebound up to 100 days in TN & still get my retirement plus getting an hourly wage for the homebound. I just know that I can't sit at home & do nothing. That wouldn't be good for the finances or my health.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Truth be told, as long as I am healthy, I doubt I ever retire. I'll do something as long as I can. Get bored too easy.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I know several that retired then went to work at a private school. Several.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

as long as there is the belief that the fed will bail out any market crash the market wont go down significantly. the actual bond buying program doesn't mean much, it's perception. from a valuation point of view stocks aren't anywhere near where they were overvalued in say 87 or 2000.

9. JayVols

My B-i-L bought an island in the river- no access other than by boat- at an auction. He made $20k profit off it in less than a year. Of course, we still have a lot in a subdivision that I went in with him on. It wasn't much, but he's sold every other piece of property he's bought easily & for good profit. We've had it close to 6 years now. I'm a jinx apparently. Hopefully it sells when the economy picks up.

10. OrangeEmpire

Where in Va?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm there with you. though my job is one where it's very easy to work 20 hours a week, bullshit with some clients, make a little money, and be semi retired. most accountants I know have big problems scaling things down.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not many real estate investments are going to be up if bought in 2008.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're selling a house in a subdivision, and i hate subdivisions. Hopefully it sells fast

14. JayVols

I don't understand any of it. I'm going to pan a creek on my property for gold this spring/summer. It's a fool's errand, but I can get pans for <$10 & I already have the shovels and picks and a tractor with a front-end loader. So, I'm not going to be out anything when I find nothing. At the least, the exercise will be good for me.

And yes, even though we are polar opposites on many things, I consider you a buddy. :)

15. JayVols

Thankfully, I had a few miracles happen & avoided it. Then, I beat their ass...

16. JayVols

I only have one option for that in my area. I can't see myself at a Christian school despite being a believer. Besides, the pay is terrible. If i'm still going to teach, I'll keep my job. I would make more just continuing. The lone exception is the retire in TN then draw a bigger paycheck than I do now in VA while still getting my TN retirement.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yep, I'm very similar to you and Jay. We just want to do something we find more enjoyment and fulfillment with, and on our terms. Maybe a small business. I see early retirement as a means to break away from the corporate work life. But I still want to work.

18. OrangeEmpire

What part dork?

May have to put in a transfer letter and we can be best friends, hahahaha

19. JayVols

Scott Co/Gate City area. I'm 20 minutes away. I have family there as that's where my mom is from. I would love to live in the Lexington, VA area if I had to move somewhere in VA.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a friend whose dad does this every summer. he has a claim somewhere in Arizona. he find it's relaxing. I don't think he's ever found anything though.

ditto