Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WM, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hmm. I am going to pick this up I think, in December.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Thanks Float

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You went with purple, huh?

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Go to the chatbox Bear.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Picking it up in the morning. Belatedly got into Oblivion a couple of years ago and played the snot out of it. A few days ago realized Skyrim was a week away. Fairly pumped. Never played Morrowind though.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would be hard to get through the graphics of Morrowind now, or the more "static" nature of the open world (not to mention the lack of 100 % audible dialogue. Lots of reading!), but it was the best elder scrolls game so far. Maybe Skyrim will beat it.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Wha? I thought Morrowind was a great game but that Oblivion was even better. To each their own I guess....

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, take away Oblivion's more modern graphics and the game was dog piss. Unbalanced, less options, less quests, less clever puzzles, less exploration, etc.

Taking away levitation really sucked, too.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Yeah, levitation was the bomb. I still think it was much smoother than Morrowind though. Did you see where there's a quest generator in Skyrim to ensure there's always something to do? That's pretty cool.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I did. Still no levitation, but I think I am more conditioned to it. I miss teleportation too. Fast travel isn't the same. I liked having to plan ahead about how to get places. I guess some folks found it tedious and time-wasting though.

I do think Skyrim is promising. The Fallout games have really advanced the engine (no matter what they say, the Skyrim engine is essentially the same as the Fallouts, Oblivion, and yes, Morrowind's.) At the same, it is still very "animation" based so there is still going to be some silliness of repetitive motions and what-not. But it looks promising overall.

I think I like the scrapping of classes. I always made a custom class that was a hybrid of all 3 main types anyway.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

In the demo, it made it out like you could change classes at any time whenever you found one of those stones. Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The way I understood it, you can level up by ranking up any skill, thus there is no "class" per se. Maybe what you are talking about is more accurate, in that the stones are the mechanism allowing you to change which skills rank you up.

14. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

If you guys are talking about skyrim, there isnt a "class" unless you count race like my guy an orc. While you go through the game you skill rank up according to how you are playing. Like if you are using two handed weapons more than magic you will rank up more in two handed weapons. I have come accross two of these stones you are referring to and honestly I am oging to have to go back to remember what I got from them. Pretty sure you unlocked certain special powers. So much shit to do

15. WM

WM Active Member

Got the game on my lunch break.
    Fun little story about my visit to Best Buy. I traded in Madden 12 for store credit. They wanted my DL, had to get an electronic thumbprint, electronic signature, scanned DL, and a written signature.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I would have told them to pack sand.....wtf do you need my fingerprint for?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

What, no semen sample?

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Played it a little bit today and so far it hasn't disappointed. IP- you don't choose your classes...at least I haven't yet.

19. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

No you don't, and the writing crap in the stones that you unlock are for dragon powers.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Been playing Skyrim since about noon. Really like how the different races of humans are more distinguishable, plus it's seemed a lot easier to get started than Oblivion did, although my Oblivion experience could be partly responsible for that.