The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 11, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Trae Golden did his best Tim Hardaway imitation tonight. He played a tremendous all around game.
    2. The flip side of that is that Coach Martin has to find some way to get production when Golden takes a break. UT looked lost without him in the game tonight.
    3. Jordan McRae quitely had a very good night. He was active defensively and let the game come to him on offense.
    4. Great to see the crowd reaction to our veterans tonight. We can't thank them enough for their service.
    5. UT's big men just don't have particularly good hands. Several layup opportunities were lost to mishandled passes.
    6. I'm amazed people still use "Born In The USA" as if it's some kind of patriotic anthem. Come on people, listen to the lyrics.
    7. Kenny Hall showed some signs of life in the second half. That was a marked improvement over what was an absolutely dismal performance in the first twenty minutes.
    8. I like the confidence the team is showing shootning the ball from the perimeter. They're not always going to shoot it as well as they did tonight, but they don't appear the least bit tentative.
    9. The defense was generally solid. The first 10 minutes of the second half wasn't great, but they did eliminate some of the problems related to getting beaten back door that plagued them in the exhibition games.
    10. Louisiana-Monroe isn't very good, either. UT has a good chance to head to Maui with some confidence and momentum.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I still feel like we're waiting for a hurricane to make landfall, in regards to our schedule.

3. hatvol96

Oh, there's no doubt there are going to be some really long nights. I will say it's looked better than I expected so far.

4. hatvol96

On a side note, games like BYU at Utah State tonight are exactly why I love ESPN Full Court.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hat, did you get a chance to catch some of the Carrier Classic? It was quite a spectacle, and I am looking forward to it being an annual event.

6. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Hell of a line for Golden.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm trying to figure out what to make of our inside game. Is Maymon for real? Can Renaldo really contribute? Why does Kenny have bouts of brain-deadness? What is Yemi's learning curve?

The front court is really not too bad, and maybe even a little better than I once thought.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

"6. I'm amazed people still use "Born In The USA" as if it's some kind of patriotic anthem. Come on people, listen to the lyrics."

That's funny and exactly right. Born in The USA is where Bruce lost me and I think it was his 'jump the shark' moment from which I've never come back. Hey Bruce and other entertainers, shut up and sing and don't take yourself so damned seriously. Y'all ain't philosophers, your rockers, court jesters, entertainers, know your place.

9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I enjoyed watching an offense that actually appeared to have a point (pun intended), a purpose, a method vs. dribbling and passing around the perimeter for 30 seconds than launching a bad shot or driving into three defenders in the pain.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nice to see a legit point run the show.

Bigs Need to work on the offensive end.

Bad opponent, but maymon and swiperboy pleasantly surprised me.

Need to figure out what to do when golden is off the court.

All in all, much better than what I was expecting.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Thanks, Hat. Appreciate these write-ups.

We allowed too much dribble penetration--their pg split our hedge a couple times and a couple more blow-by's. Unacceptable. I still think we'll have our share of offensive futility, but last night showed we definitely have the potential to be a better offensive team than all of us expected. Golden looks like a completely different player out there. Even without that shooting display, he completely controlled the game and I was very impressed with how he finished in transition.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Belmont-Duke was as good of an opening game as I've seen; I thought my boys were going to take Duke until Dawkins made that long three at the end.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That it was. Belmont is due to win a game like that somewhere. Im sure Duke hopes they don't draw them in the AA tourney.

14. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

The replay of this game on FSN coincided quite nicely with Simms being inserted into the game last night.

Golden really was everywhere. Clearly he won't put up a line like that every night, and it's just one game against questionable competition, but he looked like a different player from last year.