Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Nov 12, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anyone on here duck hunt?

I will be in Arkansas next weekend for opening day

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Only Nintendo style.

I do, however, want to get in on some turkey hunting. There is a den somewhere and they are all over the place. Would be a great Thanksgiving score.

3. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I've got a buddy whose step dad and like 10 buddies lease a blind and badass lodge in Arkansas, they go all the time. I've never duck hunted, however, a friend at college said something about some of us going to Illinois to goose and duck hunt.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's addicting.

I grew up deer, rabbit and squirrel hunting. I got into duck hunting when I was 14. I've been hooked ever since.

A good goose hunt in a cut corn field is great.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can, depending on where you are at, kill a turkey with a bow in the fall.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I haven't been in two years, but that used to be my primary hunting. I won't make it this year either, though. Slowly forgetting how to blow a call.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's like riding a bike

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I duck hunt and thoroughly enjoy the MS River delta flyway. As good as it gets in that business.

Where you heading to hunt JG? Near Brinkley or Stuttgart? I'm hunting this year in a club with some flooded timber down off the Arky River.

9. fl0at_

We got a spot on the Cache just outside Cotton Plant. What is your familiarity with Brinkley?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My brother in law is in Searcy. I think we're either going to hunt close to the Cache River refuge or some private farm land close to Searcy.

Depending on when the little one arrives, I'll be hunting real close to you with some friends from college.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

From shooting light to 9:45, we had killed 3 wood ducks and one hooded merganser.

From 9:50 to 10:20, we killed 24 mallards, one green wing and 5 more wood ducks in the timber.

It was amazing. We had groups of 20 to 40 mallards working until we got our limit of mallards. We put the guns up and still managed to get two groups of 10+ mallards to land in the hole.

We hunted public land at Black Swamp, I think.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Congrats JG. That's fantasy hunting in my neck of the woods. We don't see 20 ducks in a day, much less in a group.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In middle Tennessee, we can see a lot of ducks but getting more than 4 or 5 to work at a time takes a miracle.

What was really amazing was how easy they were to work into the decoys. I've hunted in Arkansas before, but that was the first time I had a good hunt in flooded timber.

PB190431.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  14. JayVols

Sweet haul. I've seen a pile of geese like that, but not ducks. My farm is on the Holston River. Very minor flyway. Most of our ducks are residents.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And residents are hard as hell to get to work in.

I'll be hunting on Kentucky Lake this weekend on big water. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I did last weekend. There will hopefully be a lot of gadwalls, Canadian geese and divers being shot. We shall see.

16. JayVols

You're right residents are nearly impossible to decoy or call in. They know where they are going and go there.

Good luck. I go fishing every year at Cape Hatteras, NC right after summer vacation begins. There are hundreds of blinds in the sound out there. I would love to hunt there once just to see what ducks come in on REALLY big water. The only problem is cotton mouths. A buddy of mine that hunted out there once said that he shot a box and a half of shells. Only the half box were shots at ducks. The rest were at snakes.

When I went to the BCS championship game in '98, we visited Hoover Dam on the way to Vegas. I have a picture of a group of Cinnamon Teals (abt 8) swimming near the dam. I wanted my 870 Express and some #4 lead shot sooooi bad I could taste it. Not as pretty as a wood duck imo, but still a pretty bird. Add the fact that we don't get them in the east really got my killer instinct primed.

17. fl0at_

You on the East side of the Cache or the West side? We might be neighbors. If so, I apologize for past indiscretions against some of your blinds...

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

West I think. I hunted there last year but I don't know enough to say exactly where we were at. I know Cotton Plant was real close and we were hunting the Cache

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

At least he got to shoot his gun at something. I would love to hunt a big area like that just to get a chance to kill all the different kinds of divers. I think you can shoot swans too.

I've seen one cinnamon teal and that was during turkey season. They are beautiful ducks.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm not much of a duck hunter, but I'll ask you guys this: how do you cook a wild duck so that it doesn't taste like shit?

For a really tricky question, I'd like to know the same information about a wild goose.