Anatomy of a Ron Paul supporter.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Nov 15, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a female friend.

Shocking, I know.

She is a huge Ron Paul supporter, this election. This is humorous to me, because in 2004 she was all about Howard Dean before ultimately voting Bush, and in 2008 she was all Hillary Clinton before ultimately voting for McCain. As we all know, she could have supported Ron Paul in each of those elections, but didn't.

On facebook, she constantly is posting Ron Paul "money bomb" fundraiser crap, stories about the vast media conspiracy against Paul, etc.

Well, yesterday she posted a link to a site with the message, "Like if you are against the new world order." I was intrigued. Clicking on the link, I find a series of stories discussing chem trails, an evil Jewish family that controls all national banks, the idea that 90 % of Jews are really impostors and are "Khazars" or some shit... Climate change is a conspiracy for world government, etc.

Some nutty shit.

I post a message to her letting her know that the page she "liked" has a lot of anti-semitic garbage on it, just as an fyi. Turns out, she personally knows the author of the page who responds by saying there is nothing racist about it, he loves everyone, blah blah blah. We get into an exchange about all the issues. Turns out, he is a total nut bag and a huge Ron Paul guy.

Is this typical of Ron Paul people? Are they all this crazy and racist?

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You ain't gotta lie IP.

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes it's typical. very similar ideas to leaders of the libertarian party. gsvol is a big fan of paul remember. i'm all for blowing up govt, but actually listen to what paul says and don't tell me he's not crazy.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ron Paul taps into that segment of the population that, if they don't understand something, believe it must be evil, corrupt, or out to get them. Whatever well-meaning critiques he offers up -- particularly about the World Bank, IMF, WTO, etc -- gets lost in the mantra of the one-world government crap that is attractive to those folks.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Exactly.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No way she's under 300lbs.

I kid.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never been anything but a friend. Always been eccentric. Always been like 100 lbs.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Have you asked her what in the world motivated her to support Howard Dean, vote for W, then support Hillary? She probably shouldn't be allowed to cast her vote.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, she usually replies with something to do with their personalities.

No, she should not be allowed to vote. She is part of the reason I am now skeptical of full democracies as an adequate form of government.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Come on over to the dark side. You are getting more conservative -- in the old school sense -- by the minute.

12. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

that's why there's no such thing as a "full democracy"

tyranny of the majority is just as bad as tyranny by the one, or the few

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Maybe worse.

14. Same here, I have a female who is for lack of a better term, a dyke. She is very active in LGBT communtity and gay rights issues.

She was an ardent Obama sheep, until two or three months ago. She is now on the 'Ron Paul Rampage'. She is convinced he should be the next POTUS, and is the answer to our nation's ills.

NEVER thought I would see her anything but a Democrat. At least she is off the Obama bandwagon.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

From what I have now seen, Paul is crazier.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would be much more inclined if social conservatism looked more like this: Bible has some shocking 'family values' - CNN.com

17. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't do that, because I recognize global climate change.

19. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

so? Reagan said that someone you agree with 80% of the time isn't 20% your enemy.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've never made libertarians out to be my enemy. Or anyone, for that matter. That is the problem with politics today.