Obama on Foreign Investment in the US

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Are we trying to draw more private jet flying CEOs that will take keep those in poverty on the bottom?
    Or do we need more of these types to tax so we can raise the bottom up through taxes and distribution?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like a good idea to me... It is confusing for foreigners to figure out the different state laws on top of federal ones, and we don't do a lot to sell ourselves to the rest of the world.

4. HMMM? Our citizens are lazy, and we have an unqualified, incompetent, [uck fay]ing moron as POTUS.

Yep! That would explain the lack of foreign investment.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's only been the prez for 3 years. I think it is more than just Obama concerning foreign investment over the last two decades.

6. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

2nd highest corporate tax rate doesn't help.

Foreign investors may also view bullshit like the NLRB's witch hunt against Boeing and the administration's bizarre lynching of Gibson Guitars as reason enough to stay out of the US.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What are you talking about? The government advised Gibson's CEO to move his production facilities to Madagascar. Closing and relocating two Tennessee plants to another country is only going to encourage other countries to reciprocate. It's brilliant.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

*2nd highest unless you are one of the elite lobbying corporations. Then it's zero or next to it.*

How's that for a competitive and free business environment?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no one is paying zero taxes due to "lobbying." the much aligned GE example is soley due to tax loss carry forwards. before that they have paid more taxes in total than virtually any other american company in history. fact remains that many companies have moved their operations to similar labor cost areas like ireland simply to avoid taxes. so the argument taht lowering taxes wouldn't help is without merrit.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could similarly claim that such taxes have been lowered before and we experienced no economic windfall. Thus, lowering taxes helping has no merit?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when's the last time we lowered corporate taxes?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I read somewhere that we have the second lowest corporate tax rate in the West, behind Iceland. Is that not true?

Because if it is, it clearly isn't helping.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think you mean second highest. at least second highest top rate. god knows where we rank for average rate.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it was second lowest tax rate by GDP %. I don't know why GDP is relevant, though. Obviously that is what skews it...

I'm not sure on this. Why would GDP % matter?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i suppose it would be a way to measure the size of the economy and probably a resonable one. we allow rather agressive deductions for capital that other countries do not. so it's situation where we are probably attractive for some companies (ironically manufacturing, certainly real estate) and significantly not attractive for others (technology and biotech in particular).

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know we have missed out on the stem cell boom to Europe and East Asia, due to some of our political policies.

Still, I would think GDP % -weighted corporate income tax would not matter to most corporations. They would be looking at the quality of development, work force education, and the bottom line corporate tax.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i honestly don't think we'll ever get many companies moving here if we lower corporate taxes, maybe moving back. it a situation of trying to keep what we have. we have billions of possible tax revenues being earned in places like ireland by american companies like google, intel, dell, pfizer, wyeth. there is no reason that should have happened.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

uh, IP: do what?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Drugs. Just say no.

20. volinbham

volinbham Member

The "stem cell boom"?