Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Supposing you could have anybody you wanted (short of a current head coach) running our offense next season who would it be?

I might be willing to give Chad Morris a shot. He's a hurry-up no-huddle kind of guy, but all of his offenses thus far have produced. Clemson is top 15 this year, after being worse than UT in 2010.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. crusse10

crusse10 Member

Mike McCarthy isn't busy on Saturdays.

3. Todd Monken is putting up huge numbers at OK St.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last year it would have been David Shaw.

This year, I don't know yet. Probably Don Treadwell.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Thought about him, but I wonder how much he actually does. I think Gundy is running the show, offensively.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Paul Chryst would be the first I would probably call.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

What is Al Borges doing these days? Chad Morris would be worth a shot.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would be a welcome change. I wonder if his scheme changes would be enough to get the run game rolling, or if we'd also need a new OL coach.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Borges is busy running an offense led by a guy with the legs of Mike Vick and the arm of Matt Simms up in Ann Arbor.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I'm still a fan of Chris Hatcher....

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I maybe the only one on the board that thinks this, but I think our running game woes are a Poole/Offensive playcalling issue rather than a offensive line problem.....jmo

12. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

We don't do enough in the passing game to occupy opposing linebackers. It is a combination of deep routes and under use of the TE (since Bray is out). The play action was effective against Arkansas until they realized the didn't need to worry about the run.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've seen that theory put forth by a couple of others, mainly BPV. It stands to reason that that is at least a good portion of the problem.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Even when Bray was in we weren't able to run. Linebackers that never sniff a blocker are still going to be able to make plays in the run game even if they start out in coverage. Montana's 4 LBs ran wild even though any of our OL were perfectly capable of pancaking them if they were so inclined.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Yeah, gotta think Oklahoma State's offense is Gundy's work. How many different OCs have they had in recent years? Wasn't Trooper Taylor even the coordinator (at least in title) when he was there?

16. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I'm not arguing that this OL isn't culpable at all. They are not physical enough even when they have the match ups, but Chaney isn't doing them any favors. He doesn't make opposing LB work hard enough in coverage.

They run way too many deep routes...consistently.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can't figure out why we kept running out routes when Worley was short-hopping it every time he tried to go the sideline. You'd think a huge dude like Rivera would be a nice target for him, but he hasn't completed a single pass to him outside the MTSU game.

18. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I have no idea if the outs are a result of a play call or a "read route", but they have been running them all f'n year. If you can't run the ball go five wide and dink and dunk or run the back to the flat on every play. At the very least, make the opposing D run a little bit to find the ball.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Da'Rick on slants and other such routes across the middle seems to have been pretty effective. I guess we don't want to get him killed with Worley's occasional high tosses, but dang.

20. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Da'Rick has taken a few licks and held on this year, but he still has alligator arms. I think they are getting about 75% from him right now. That is on Dooley.