Anatomy of a Ron Paul supporter.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

jeez, I recognize climate change, I just don't agree with the "settled science" of anthropogenic climate change

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I say climate change, those two things are synonymous. One would have to be Helen Keller to think climate has never changed whatsoever. Even creationists recognize a tearing of a firmament changing climate.

Although to me, to deny the human race's impacts on the environment and climate is almost as head-scratching.

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

isn't rigid adherence to orthodoxy one of your primary criticisms of social conservatives?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ice Age was a scam, dude.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree with almost all of libertarian ideals. teh problem is they've attracted every wackjob in teh country. i briefly attended libertarian meetings in northern california while in college and it was pretty shocking/alarming. racists, people talking to themselves, guys with 10 ak 47s in their basement waiting for the "riots", etc.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You'd have several machine guns, too, if ethnic voices were constantly in your heard telling you about the imminent riots.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think so. I wish folks approached it more that way. It's corny, but if we all just tried to take each other and let individuals live their own lives, we'd all be better off.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Not sure I see the problem with owning a carbine or two...

10. CardinalVol

He makes a really poor (and very elementary) argument to get to his point that would be shot down by any seminary professor in about 30 seconds if they so chose.

That said, my views on legislation of morality really don't fall into any camp, usually frown upon by "secularists" and Bible-beaters alike.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The underlying point to me is how transient the alleged word of God is. I am happy to let a seminary professor get his warm bubblies from explaining to me how I am wrong and am repressing an absolute truth that I innately know concerning God and right/wrong. He may believe that, but it doesn't make it so. It's the Word as decided by the Council of Nicaea, picked for purposes beyond spiritual enlightenment.

Religious dogma is no way to form a political opinion. There are multiple religions, none no more legitimate than the other.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For me, it's finding out just how much of an impact we have. It's either an all or nothing campaign, depending on who wrote it.

There's no doubt we have screwed with the environment.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am on board with you, there. There is a whole series of processes that are pulling and pushing things one way or another with the natural world, whether we are here or not. It is far from static.

Something that is sort of an undertone to the back and forth is what is qualified as "good" or "bad," in those changes? Is it anthropocentric? Is it relative to how it was 50 years ago? 100? 1000? They are very good questions that haven't been fully addressed, because there is still a public debate as to whether real change is even occurring on a large scale.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not sure I communicated my point very well or in a non-douchey manner. What I'm saying is what we need in this country isn't nit-picking and judgement, whatever the source. We need tolerance and making personal liberty and legal/social equality sacred.

15. CardinalVol

That is your opinion. You cannot prove it any more or less than the most right-wing fundamentalist can prove theirs. Every person has a backgrond from which they form their political opinions whether it be religious, culture, etc.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we've obviously changed the atmosphere and had serious effects on groundwater and nature. the question is whether we are soley responsible for global warming and even if we are whether we can do anything about it without starving the world's population.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mother Nature seems to have always done a pretty good job of correcting the problem if we (humans) don't get in the way

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For better or for worse.

19. CardinalVol

Very true. One of the problems of being in a society that places high emphasis on individual rights is that unfortunately you have to respect all beliefs, to an extent.

There is actually a very fascinating ethical discussion that could be had about the entire Sandusky case and all that surrounds it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That it's his God-given right to molest little boys or the fact that someone who harbored a pedophile is still considered, by a lot of people, a hero?