This May Be Stupid But...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Feb 16, 2014.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm convinced Martin needs to be canned, and Bruce Pearl needs to be rehired. Objectively, he's a very good coach, and also, objectively, he's a liar and unethical. However, most successful coaches aren't saints. The reasoning is simple, and it's not that I'm a huge Pearl fan. Tennessee is not going to hire a better coach than Bruce Pearl. We are not going to hire Shaka Smart, Gregg Marshall, Ben Howland, etc. We're going to hire someone that's as much of a reach as Cuonzo Martin was. Bruce Pearl is a proven commodity, and, I think the situation mandates we rehire him. Fire away.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I just can't bring myself to accept your premise as fact though I have absolutely no data to refute it.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't have a single ounce of confidence that those in charge would make anything better than a hope & pray hire. In fact, if it were possible, I'd have negative numbers level confidence.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bruce being unethical and a liar is the reason Tennessee is in the position it's in

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't really mind hiring an unethical liar, but hiring back an unethical liar that burnt you once before seems really, really stupid

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I see them hiring someone like Kermit Davis.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't really have faith in the ad making a good hire though

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Umm...Bruce wasn't on the committee that decided to hire Cuonzo. The Vols were actually good under Bruce.

11. kidbourbon

Interesting take, LV. I can't say it's terrible logic.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I prefer not to base expectations on our leadership being too incompetent to anything right other than rehire some guy they lucked into (I believe worth the help of a search firm - anyone know for sure?) eight years ago.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd prefer not do that as well, but I deal in reality and not fairyland.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The reason there was a committee that hired Cuonzo is because Bruce was a liar and unethical

15. JohnnyQuickkick

As to the OP, the only reason I say hire Bruce is for the same reason. These guys aren't going to get a good basketball coach without getting lucky.

16. kidbourbon

And a butterfly flapped his wings 2,000 miles away. That's great too. Think about the causations and assign the blame. it doesn't go to Bruce Pearl.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Bruce being unethical and a liar is the reason he was fired. Tennessee is in the position it's in because we hired a bad coach to replace him.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

What

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then you must have been having an out of body experience when you created a thread about hiring Bruce Pearl.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I wasn't trying to be an ass to you; rather, I think trusting our administration to make a solid basketball hire is naive at best. And, I don't see anything unrealistic about hiring Pearl back.