Richard Sherman to NFL: "No N-word? That's Racist!"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Mar 4, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2. kidbourbon

Yeah, it's just one word, [penis]. Nobody ever made a big deal out of that one word before. No different than shit or [dadgum].

But, hey, Richard Sherman went to Stanford. He's really smart. Just ask him.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Either the word is universally bad or it isn't. I tire of the duplicity of it.

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Shut up you bunch of thug crackers

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, I can see the ban as racist. My views don't necessarily align with Sherman's, but I see his point.

6. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

lol

7. kidbourbon

Exactly. I've put this word up on a pedestal since like age 19. I never say it. But I'm actually starting to get annoyed -- not because I want to say it or something...at some point it's just not in your vocabulary, so that's not an issue -- because the double-standard is borderline smug. Mike Wilbon, for example, (who I neither like nor dislike) goes off on these rants every time the subject comes up about how he can the say the word as much as he damn well pleases and he gets to frame the issue. White people don't get to frame the issue. Well, here's the deal, Mike. There wouldn't be an issue if you'd stop saying it. White people stopped saying that word in public 30 years ago. Nobody would be saying that word if black people weren't saying the word. So if you don't want people to say the word, then for the love of all things sacred -- and also please pretty please with sugar on top -- just stop saying the [dadgum] word.

8. kidbourbon

I can see that his point is stupid.

Now, to be clear, had he merely said it was a stupid rule, I don't start this thread. But saying' it's just another cuss word? Kinda like focking? Can I say nogger then? How about nagger?

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I ride with kidb on this one

10. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;x7zRlnyfB_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zRlnyfB_M[/video]

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I thought thug was the new n word, just use that Sherman.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not sure what you took away from his comments. I took it to mean that he was concerned about black players being overly penalized for use of the word.

I see his point, but in response all I would have to say is it sucks to be you.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Seems like it would be pretty damn racist only penalize white people who said it

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Damn skippy.

15. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

you guy's just don't understand.

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

This is why you will never hear Enimem use the word in his songs unlike 99% of the other rappers

17. kidbourbon

As I said before, if he had stated that as his concern, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

But I don't know what can be taken away from the below other than that it's a really dumb thing to say:

18. kidbourbon

I'm on board with Jason Whitlock. The N word is keeping the black man down no matter who's saying it.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Whitlock ain't afraid to pull out the "slighted" card. He's a well spoken, well written guy, but his freaking crusades are painful to me.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Come on Kid, there' said difference between n***a and n***er! The first is a term of endearment amongst people in the black community. The second is hateful and ignorant.