How safe is flying?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'll admit it. I'm pretty damn terrified of being 30000 feet in the air with no control and the ever present possibility of terrorism. With that being said, I'm flying Monday morning. Anyone care to throw out any facts/figures to calm my nerves? TIA

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

From anxieties.com:

3. TennTradition

I find the loss of control to be somewhat more relaxing...there's not a damn thing I can do about it, so being alert to it or worried about it means nothing (unlike driving in my car where the caution can help - or hurt, I suppose). I used to think about it the first few times I flew, but the lack of being able to do anything about it just helped me let it go. Honestly, I now sleep pretty much the entire time..including landings and takeoffs. I really should make myself wake up and be more alert so I can act in case something does go wrong...but the damn things just put me to sleep.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's true. I've flown once before but we were on a smaller Continental plane. Now we're flying on a Delta Airbus. Don't know if that should make me feel better or worse

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

just make sure you know where all the Arabs are, that's what i do. especially after 9/11 when we would fly to games the team would know where every towel head was on the plane

6. TennTradition

Did you include Sikh's in that towel-head count, or just the slightly-less brown ones? I mean, who knows what they're hiding in that turban...

7. WM

WM Active Member

[​IMG]

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Anyone have a review of flying on Delta Airlines?

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

don't act like i'm the only one who did that after 9/11

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Worse than crashing is the disgusting air quality on those things. That may have been updated and improved since last I checked, but the circulation in those things is terrible.

11. TennTradition

It was less about the being cautious and more about dropping the towel-head comment.

12. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

didn't know this was serious

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

everyone profiled, and a lot of people still do. can't blame them

14. TennTradition

It usually isn't...

...and it doesn't have to be here. I just took that to be a reasonably serious comment. If not, then I retract....

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think outside of Southwest or Frontier, they are all equally different forms of mediocre.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Every major airline in the US sucks, Delta included, American and United the most.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Also, flying is safe, and drinking helps.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Noted

19. As one who some experience in single engine aircraft, and absolutely loves to fly. Yes, flying is very safe.

Airline travel is literally safer than the drive to the airport.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are some on this forum that I am sure fly 4 or more times a year. They're still kicking.