SEC issues statement on Vols' overtime TD

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by SavageOrangeJug, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SEC issues statement on Vols' overtime TD - SEC Blog - ESPN

They should have called the safety after the Vandy QB was down in the endzone. The game wouldn't even have went to overtime.

2. They can get it wrong even with the replay.

3. I think Mr. Franklin might have his panties in a bit of a wad.

[video=facebook;2453718076258]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2453718076258&oid=295451209710[/video]

4. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

They need a rule change. Can you imagine the uproar had they called it back, and we lose in OT.

The play clearly should not have been blown dead. He had a terrible view and was the only ref to do anything.

Wonder what was being said to the head guy over the radio when they were reviewing "We [uck fay]ed that up, shit, call it a TD so we can walk peacefully out of this place...."

5. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

Note: I have no idea how they can change it BTW. Just seems crazy to think they could have and very much by the rules called that back.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i don't even give a shit, not in the slightest, after what happened to us last year.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

There are two ways to correct it:

1. Make the right call in the first place;
    2. Don't blow the whistle if there is any doubt. Mark the spot but let play continue so that replay can work.

In this case, they went with option 3:

3. Miss the call, blow the whistle to stop play, lie about it, and then have your governing body issue a meaningless statement saying that it shouldn't have happened the following day.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And honestly, most Vandy fans I've seen got as much joy out of UT losing in that fashion as they've ever gotten for any VU victory. So, they're still coming out ahead in the UT endgame officiating.

Also, think back and tell me if you agree with me that officiating in the SEC has gotten a hell of a lot worse since Slive took over.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

At the 10-11 second mark you can see the official put the whistle to his mouth and hear it blown (left hand side of the screen).

[video=youtube;1XD43_fHSIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XD43_fHSIE&f[/video]

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yep, only players with a prayer of being in position to catch him were Vandy offensive linemen. Sorry dores, he was scoring no matter what.

11. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Screw Vanderbilt. The refs got the play right even if they did two or three things wrong in the process of getting it right.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

So Franklin wants the correct call reversed on a technicality of a stupid ref mistake. I can see where the official could believe the knee down in live play with the bad angle, but per another comment, if in doubt swallow the whistle let the play run its course and sort it out if necessary by the review process, no harm, no foul. That's how the do it in the NFL on fumbles now.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Gordon was scoring no matter what. That said, if Tennessee was on the other side of that, I'd probably be [itch bay]ing, too.

That said, I'm not sure what they're gonna be able to do about this. Vacate the win and try to screw both teams out of a bowl game?

14. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Also, as for the whistle, Mike Pereira was discussing the play on his twitterfeed and mentioned that the replay booth doesn't have audio. So if the refs somehow missed the whistle blowing in real time, and unless the ref that blew it came forward and said he didn, which apparently he didn't, the head ref and replay officials probably never realized it was even blown.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Franklin has every right to be pissed off with the outcome of this. I would be too if I were in his shoes.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Franklin can kiss my ass.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That is correct.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Why would they not have audio?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a straight video feed.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can't vacate the win. this wasn't a 50/50 play, where Vandy had a good chance of winning too. Best case scenario, Tennessee gets the ball on the 25 yard line and only needs a field goal. Vols were going to win that game.