Bama gonna get a chance to win the NC without the SEC west crown

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It is set up to happen.

If LSU wins the west and the SECCG they should get the NC trophy.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Terrible that LSU is essentially punished for winning the matchup against Bama by having to play an extra game against UGA 45 minutes from Athens.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I highly doubt Bama beats LSU in New Orleans

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Crazy how every year the NCG falls in New Orleans, LSU shows up there.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Based on this, we need to have a NCG in the Music City Bowl...

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alabama sure is a friggin lucky team.

7. tripper

tripper Member

What if UGA beats LSU in the SECCG? LSU would get left out of a BCS bowl while Bama's playing for the NC. Ridiculous.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

No. LSU will be in a BCS bowl regardless.

The question is whether LSU would drop below Ok St or Va Tech in the BCS standings. I'm not sure that they would. There's a chance that they could actually lose the seccg and still play in the BCS title game.

EDIT: You were right. Bama and UGA would be the SEC's two BCS teams in this scenario. Wow.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If UGA beats LSU in the Championship, we could still potentially get the LSU-Bama matchup, and then UGA would also be in a BCS bowl. 3 SEC teams in BCS bowls would be nuts.

10. hallowed_hill

There is a max of 2 teams per conference. This raises a good point, though. LSU would be #2 in the BCS standings and get left out because UGA and Bama would be our two BCS representatives. Nuts.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not for rematches, but with oklahoma losing last sat and i can't say anyone else really deserves it.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Pretty sure there is an exception for exactly this type of situation. If both the top 2 are in the same conference which neither won, I think the conference gets 3 teams in.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And if LSU does lose the SEC title game, they should still be ahead of Bama.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That isn't the way I read the section.

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

BCS selection procedures

To me, that says that in order to get 3, you have to have #1 and #2 from the same conference and neither is conference champion. For instance, if Georgia beats LSU and Arkansas and Bama are 1 & 2, all three would get bids, but if the SEC champion is ranked in the top 2, the conference can have 2 bids max.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hell, let RGIII and the Baylor give it a shot.

There is a huge difference between LSU and Alabama and the rest of the country. I don't want to sound like an SEC homer, but no one else stacks up to them.

16. hallowed_hill

This is right. But isn't tvols saying the same thing?

17. cotton

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was saying a conference can have 3 BCS teams if 2 are ranked 1 & 2. I believe this is only true if neither 1 or 2 are champions of the conference.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

#1, #2, and conference champs are automatic qualifiers.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That's what I said. My scenario was if LSU lost to Georgia, but LSU and Bama both remained in the top 2.

20. cotton

OK. I didn't read back far enough.