Tennessee vs Iowa Play-In Game

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

My thoughts:

1. A play-in game is not "making the field" or "getting a bid" to the Dance.
    2. An argument could be made that a play-in game is the same as "making the field" or "getting a bid" to the Dance, albeit a weak one.
    3. Even if you consider it "making the field", I certainly doubt that many will agree with you, should Tennessee get bounced by Iowa (which is unlikely).

So, if. Tennessee does get beaten by Iowa, what happens to Cuonzo?

If he's kept until next year, considering all that he had from a talent perspective, and given that we play in the 5-6th best conference in the country - he has no business being the coach next season, based on three year's worth of results.

And to extend him, even without changing buyout, and for no bump - is absurd, and should compel the legislature to initiate a full-fledged professional competency hearing on anyone associated with UTK.

JMHO.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He should be fired.

*There seems to be rumblings of unhappiness and some talk about the possibility of a lateralish move regardless. Possibly wishful thinking.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't understand a play-in game for a #11 seed. Granted, I don't follow basketball but I would think a "play-in" would be reserved for teams jockeying to get the #16 seed. Anyone care to explain?

4. JohnnyQuickkick

Basically the smaller leagues raised hell about not wanting their AQs to be in a play-in game every year.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It would probably be in Cuonzo's best interests to win on Wednesday.

And then again on Friday.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Second weekend or gtfo, imo.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Get to the round of 32 and play Duke tough to satisfy me

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I would beat Iowa, were I Cuonzo, as it could impact whether he stays or not, and whether he goes voluntarily to another locale or just forcibly leaves Tennessee.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

**** that. **** AQ's. Put the best 64 teams out there.

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

After Cuonzo's douche bag true fan quote - is there any possibility he leaves willingly if someone else is interested? Maybe a lateral move or even a small step down?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We will beat Iowa.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

The Cuonzonites on VN are eating up his true fan quote btw and saying good for him for shitting on the part of the fan base that doesn't blindly support him.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That quote is a good way to piss off a lot of people that were either on the fence or slightly leaning his way.

14. GahLee

I wouldn't bet on it.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Can't believe he pulled that shit. **** him.

16. GahLee

So he really said that? **** him.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

Not saying I agree with it though I see their side

18. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah it's Jerry Green Go to K-Mart esque, just about 4 octaves lower on the piano

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

@wesrucker247: Cuonzo: I'm really happy for our true fans -- the ones who have been behind us the whole time.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

#shootingbrickbybrick